441 CF-104 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff. it's got me going now - I've just ordered the Revell 1/48th scale RCAF Starfighter kit. Don't know when I'll get around to building it, but it will be done in NMF, as one seen transiting through Prestwick.

The kit arrived today, and it's quite nice too. Need to do a bit more research, as the kit decals are for 417 Sqn, at Cold Lake, in the 'Canadian Armed Forces' era, whereas I need RCAF decals and numbers etc. - when I eventually get around to building it, that is !!

Thanks Geo, I'll have a look, although the last time I got stuff from Canada, it cost me more in Import Duty and a Royal Mail handling charge, than the cost of the parts!
That said, there's a company in the UK which deals with Mike Belcher, so if I need anything, I can probably get it that way. So far, it looks like only lettering decals, which I might have in the spare decals files, or I can make.
BTW, I've sent you an e-mail regarding one of the pics you sent me.

Cory, I found that magazine but, although the cover has a colour shot of a CAF Starfighter, in the overall green scheme, the actual article, and profiles, only covers European users of the type !!

No problem mate. I've made a tentative start on the RCAF Starfighter, working on some basic scratch-building in the cockpit, and I'm awaiting the 'Cannuck Decals' sheet you told me about, inbound from Canada, plus a resin jet nozzle and brass pitot tube from Hannant's.
After so long away from the bench, and still a bit (er.. a lot!) stiff, it's hard going, but I'm enjoying it, as an exercise to get me back 'in the swing', before proceeding to some more serious modelling, including the overdue commissions.
Geo has just sent me a shed load of info, so I should be able to make a reasonable representation of a European-based '104 that transited through Prestwick in the early to mid 1960's.
I'll start a build thread once I've got settled, given my stupid hands (and bl**dy awful Humbrol enamel!) allow me to continue !

Looking forward to it Terry! I'm sorry, I haven't been able to get out to the museum, and we're supposed to get nailed with snow tomorrow.

I just received my dad's copy of that same sheet, and it looks very good.

No problem Cory - don't go getting stuck in the snow and freezing your nuts off !
I reckon that, with the stuff Geo sent me, and some colour pics I found in various places, I should be able to replicate the metal shades on the tail well enough to pass muster, given the paints work.
I'll be trying some Model Master 'Aluminium Plate' for the first time, plus some Revell silver which, if it looks anything like the colour on the tin lid when used, should be fine, and will hopefully polish up nicely using finger aluminium print powder.
It's a shame that the only F-104s in UK museums are in overall camouflage, or I'd be able to get some good details and close up shots of the various metal panels myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back