497th TFS 'Night Owls', F-4D s/n 66-7613...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Date: 03/05/70

Aircraft: F-4D 66-7613

Crew: LtCol Lawrence .Y. Conaway, MIA. Cpt Carl .R. Churchill, MIA.

Remarks: 497th TFS, On the 3rd of May, 1970, LtCol. Lawrence Y. Conaway, pilot, and Capt. Carl R. Churchill, systems operator, departed Ubon Airbase in southeast Thailand on an operational mission over Laos. When they were about half way between the cities of Ban Ban and Nong Het in Xiangkhoang Province, Laos, their aircraft was hit by enemy fire and crashed in a river.....

Has anyone seen photo of this bird? Trying to figure out if she had the 'Night Owls' badge on the air intake and if she was all black underneath...

F4D 497th TFS 1969.jpg

The 'Night Owls' emblem was there. But I'm not sure if the undersides were of the black.

F-4s_279_.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Cheers gentlemen!
No wonder that I couldn't find the thread, I thought that I posted it in the modelling section, in the Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots section! :oops: :lol:

....I'm also curious if this F-4D, 66-7613, was equipped with the LORAN system, as the antenna is included in the Academy 1/48 F-4C kit...
Is there a difference to the instrument panel, on a Phantom with the Loran, or was kept in attachable box on top of the panel?

Hmmmm.....maybe better move this to the Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots, in the modelling section...

F-4 Phantom with LORAN.jpg

Last edited:
497th TFS September '69....jpg

497th TFS in September '69...

Kneeling: (L-R): LtCol Dan Parris (CO - outgoing), LtCol Bob Cass (CO - incoming), LtCol Skip Harrington (Ops), Maj Dick Merkel, Maj Jack Gary, Maj John Gander.

Standing: (L-R): Cpt Vern VanDuyne, Maj Wally Aunan, Maj George Kennebeck, Lt Fred Grossick, Cpt Joe Echanis (MIA), Cpt Don Eichenfeldt, LtCol John Dawson, Cpt Dick Hodgkinson, Maj Mike Powers, Maj Bob Kirtley, Maj Jerry Evelan, Cpt Warren Stewart, Cpt Neil Hansen, Maj Lou Brown, Capt Jim High.

On Wing: (L-R): Maj Don Janson, Cpt Mike Smith, Cpt Shel Goldberg.

On Fuselagae Air Intake: (L-R): Lt Carl Churchill (KIA), Cpt Dick Dehne, Lt Nick Ardillo, Cpt Doug LeFever (MIA), Cpt Bob McReynolds, Lt Bill Powley, Lt DAn Fuquay, Cpt Tommy Gilliam.

On Top of Fuselage: (L-R): Lt Harlan Long, Lt Aussie Ostergren, Lt Jim Steadman (KIA), Lt Denny McClure, Lt Neel Linker.

Source: http://www.8tfw.com/pdfs/Photo/497/497tfsphotos.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back