60th Aniversiary of the DHC2 Beaver

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot

1st Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2005
niagara falls
The DHC2 Beaver was put into production in April 48 and probably rates as the best utility transport ever made . It was exported to 63 countries and operated and still operates in every continent on earth . It was basically a pick up truck with wings that could go anywhere and very tough.
CURRENT COVER PAGE
this website has a history of most of the Beavers by serial number and pictures of each them in there various liveries and there present status excellent website probably the best i've seen for an indvidual aircraft type

The Beaver is a gorgeous airplane! I became friends with an old guy who flew one (on floats) for the Nova Scotia DNR, and he took me up a couple times. It was my first ride in a radial-powered a/c (the other was an An-2 biplane)Once was carrying fingerling trout for stocking a remote lake. The take-off was pretty long with the heavy load, but after it was emptied, the the return take-off was quite short (he was showing off a bit, I think :))

He showed me around some of the country and let me fly it around for a while. It was great...A classic airplane.

JL

The DHC2 Beaver was put into production in April 48 and probably rates as the best utility transport ever made . It was exported to 63 countries and operated and still operates in every continent on earth . It was basically a pick up truck with wings that could go anywhere and very tough.
CURRENT COVER PAGE
this website has a history of most of the Beavers by serial number and pictures of each them in there various liveries and there present status excellent website probably the best i've seen for an indvidual aircraft type

Did you catch the documentary about the Beaver on the History Television channel a couple of nights ago? It was narrated by Harrison Ford [who owns and flies a Beaver]. It covered the history of the Beaver as well as the restoration and turbo conversion of a plane named Olivia retrieved from the US southwest and re-built in Victoria BC. The plane was flown back to it's 'birthplace' in time for the anniversary celebration.

Did you catch the documentary about the Beaver on the History Television channel a couple of nights ago? It was narrated by Harrison Ford [who owns and flies a Beaver]. It covered the history of the Beaver as well as the restoration and turbo conversion of a plane named Olivia retrieved from the US southwest and re-built in Victoria BC. The plane was flown back to it's 'birthplace' in time for the anniversary celebration.
Yeah I saw that and also found out today Harrison pranged his

She's a great plane alright! We used one in the RNZAF (NZ6001/ NZ6010) which was painted a dark red and served in Antarctica with the Auster T7c NZ1707.
The reason for the dual identity is that they accidentally gave her the same registration as our sole Gloster Meteor (NZ6001) and changed it to NZ6010 when they realised the mistake.

Green County Sport Parachute Club, just outside Bardstown KY, has one, flyable, though due to fuel costs they normally use Cessna 180s. Neat old plane, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back