60th Aniversiary of the DHC2 Beaver

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by pbfoot, May 24, 2008.

1. pbfoot

pbfoot Active Member

The DHC2 Beaver was put into production in April 48 and probably rates as the best utility transport ever made . It was exported to 63 countries and operated and still operates in every continent on earth . It was basically a pick up truck with wings that could go anywhere and very tough.
    CURRENT COVER PAGE
    this website has a history of most of the Beavers by serial number and pictures of each them in there various liveries and there present status excellent website probably the best i've seen for an indvidual aircraft type

2. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    A great aircraft! :salute:

3. buzzard

buzzard Member

The Beaver is a gorgeous airplane! I became friends with an old guy who flew one (on floats) for the Nova Scotia DNR, and he took me up a couple times. It was my first ride in a radial-powered a/c (the other was an An-2 biplane)Once was carrying fingerling trout for stocking a remote lake. The take-off was pretty long with the heavy load, but after it was emptied, the the return take-off was quite short (he was showing off a bit, I think :))

He showed me around some of the country and let me fly it around for a while. It was great...A classic airplane.

JL

4. Old Wizard

Old Wizard Well-Known Member

Did you catch the documentary about the Beaver on the History Television channel a couple of nights ago? It was narrated by Harrison Ford [who owns and flies a Beaver]. It covered the history of the Beaver as well as the restoration and turbo conversion of a plane named Olivia retrieved from the US southwest and re-built in Victoria BC. The plane was flown back to it's 'birthplace' in time for the anniversary celebration.

5. pbfoot

pbfoot Active Member

Yeah I saw that and also found out today Harrison pranged his

6. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    That is a sharp looking aircraft PB. I had not ever seen one before until now. Just went the to the website and saw it, very nice.:shock:8)

7. A4K

A4K Well-Known Member

She's a great plane alright! We used one in the RNZAF (NZ6001/ NZ6010) which was painted a dark red and served in Antarctica with the Auster T7c NZ1707.
    The reason for the dual identity is that they accidentally gave her the same registration as our sole Gloster Meteor (NZ6001) and changed it to NZ6010 when they realised the mistake.

8. Gnomey

Gnomey World Travelling Doctor
    Staff Member Moderator

Doctor
    Home Page:
    Yes a great aircraft. Flew in one off Vancouver Island a couple of years back (and had some stick time).

9. glennasher

glennasher Member

kitchen countertop laminator
    Green County Sport Parachute Club, just outside Bardstown KY, has one, flyable, though due to fuel costs they normally use Cessna 180s. Neat old plane, for sure.