70th anniversary "Great Los Angeles Air Raid" San Pedro California Feb. 18th 2012

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ironfly28

Airman
Jan 7, 2012
Orange, Ca.
On the night and early morning of February 24 and 25, 1942, a singular event unfolded in the skies over Southern California – the continental United States was attacked by an enemy... or was it? The reports of this vary, from a squadron of Japanese bombers, a weather balloon, and even alien spacecraft, and the subsequent government conspiracies that followed. We do know that something happened; too many people witnessed the event to dispute that fact, but what really happened?

The Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942

Great story!

When I lived in Torrance, my girlfriends dad and mom told me about that event (they were in high school when it happened) and how they thought it was one heck of a fireworks display.

Am I the only one picturing the Movie 1941 with John Belushi?

First thing that came into my mind.

This from imdb.com trivia for "1941"

According to co-writer Bob Gale in the DVD documentary, many of the events in the movie are based on real incidents. The army really put an anti-aircraft gun in the yard of a homeowner on the Maine coast. An air raid false alarm over Los Angeles resulted in Civil Defense and Army weapons firing into the air one night, thinking they were being attacked by the Japanese. A Japanese submarine shelled a refinery on the California coast. The infamous Zoot Suit Riots, between Hispanic youths and servicemen, were in May and June 1943.

TO

Just two weeks Away! Hangar 24 Brewery from Redlands Ca. is sponsoring us with libations...and as always we will have a flyover by John Collver in "War Dog"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back