78th and 4th FG pics ... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chicoartist

Airman 1st Class
I was looking for something in my 'image vault' (my external hard drive), and thought I'd upload a few pics for a few of my fave sites while I wuz there ...

Enjoy!
Wade

Harry Thompson; 82FS, 78FG:
IMG_0265.gif

Alfred F. Eaton; 84FS, 78FG:
IMG_0098.gif

"Bee". Duane Beeson (POW); 334FS, 4FG:
BeesonPreFlt.gif

Who else had hair like that?! The Kidd, of course! Ralph Hofer (KIA); 334FS, 4FG:
HoferPreFlt.gif

The Playboy. Vic France (KIA); 334FS, 4FG:
VFranceBack.gif

Here's a few more DX and DB pics:

Razorback P-47 at DX:
P-47_Duxford.gif

83FS Enlisted troop in Maj. Jesse Davis' kite:
83FS_Enlisted_in_Maj_Jesse_Davis_Ju.gif

Kenneth C. Allstaedt. Note the camo was removed except around the serial:
Kenneth_C_Allstaedt_83FS.gif

Unidentified (so far) 334FS pilot:
UNid_334FS_pilot.gif

Mustang hooked up to the tug in a 336FS bay:
P51B_336_bay.gif

'Deac' Hively (334FS) strapped in and ready to go on the first Russia Shuttle mission:
Deacon_Hively_Russia_Shuttle.gif

The granddaddy of them all - also first man to score using the P-47:
Blakeslee_P47.gif

If you enjoyed these, you'll love the "Raphael Collection" I have posted on my site. See it starting here (3 pages + his diary): The Raphael Collection, Part I

Wade

Wade :

Great shots keep em comin man !

question : I had heard about Thompsons jug and the M under the cowl but never a reason for it........do you know ?

Erich ~

Hi,

It seems to have been SOP with some fighter groups (if the aircraft's shape allowed it) to repeat the "individual aircraft letter" under the cowl to help ground crews and maybe even fellow taxiing pilots to ID the kite from the front. I know the 4th, for one, did the same to their P-47s. 8)

Wade

interesting thought Wade. Thompsons Jug was coded MX * B lost in November of 44 he was a POW. so he is in front of one of his buddies craft

. . . Thompsons Jug was coded MX * B lost in November of 44 he was a POW. so he is in front of one of his buddies craft

Yes, that was the case here. Friend and fellow enthusiast Martin Kyburz identified "M" as:

P-47D 42-28798 MX-M;
assigned to Capt. Ivan H. Keatley;
a/c nicknamed "Cutie / Ivan The Terrible".

I did a real quick look through my copy of EAGLES OF DUXFORD, by another long-time friend, Garry Fry, and it seems Thompson was only operational a month before he was downed! All that training over a year or so ... but then again maybe "all that training" kept him alive. 8)

Wade

Wade do by chance have a 78th fg missions listing from Gary ? When I received my copy right after publication I noted that it was his intent to produce one and send out to any that sent him a letter of which I did..........but received no info

E ~ and thanks for the update on who flew "M" P-47.

Garry has sent me a LOT of 78th FG stuff over the years (including a ton of pictures, a small sampling of which you see above), but the only complete mission list I have, including the Form 34s, is for the P-51 era (Jan 1 '45 onwards, IIRC).

Wade

Hi,

It seems to have been SOP with some fighter groups (if the aircraft's shape allowed it) to repeat the "individual aircraft letter" under the cowl to help ground crews and maybe even fellow taxiing pilots to ID the kite from the front. I know the 4th, for one, did the same to their P-47s. 8)

Wade

Wade - the 355th did not but the 352nd FG did..

great shots. send me a PM with your mailing address - I lost it and I have pics to send you

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back