820 squadron Albacore

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by NEEBLAMMERS, Nov 11, 2012.

1. NEEBLAMMERS

NEEBLAMMERS New Member

Appliance engineer
    Hello again forum members,
    I am experiencing a mid-life crisis and cannot afford a sports car or a racy girlfriend so I seem to be diverting all my attention towards the low cost option of researching my family tree, as I know there is a war hero in there. I am looking for any source material, or any info at all, from fellow forum members regarding the incident involving a U-boat U-331 and its demise at the hands of an Albacore of 820 squadron. An interrogation report I read stated that the U-boat was flying the white flag when the Albacore pilot finished it off with an 18" torpedo.
    Thank you for reading this, I would be very grateful for any assistance.
    Cheers,
    Wayne

2. fubar57

fubar57 Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    According to this site,U-boat Archive - Index of ASW Incidents was sunk by a 500sq Hudson and the Albacore. Click on U-331 to read the report.(Unless that's the report you read....then ignore it. :rolleyes:)

Geo

3. NEEBLAMMERS

NEEBLAMMERS New Member

Appliance engineer
    #3 NEEBLAMMERS, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Thanks for the speedy reply Geo but that is the report I was referring to. I had to laugh at my original post, I mentioned a racy girlfriend and the site advert added to my text was for a mature dating agency... :)
    The only other written reference I've found regarding the 820 Squadron pilot, hinted that the incident resulted in his court-martial. The source was riven with Nazi bias and limited detail so I gave it little credibility. Thanks again for your help... I think I might be chasing my tail with this one though.