96 Year old Gordon Hill Reunited with his Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pretty much as Geo said. Most of the Canadian built Hurricanes used Packard Merlin 29's that were splined for Hamilton standard props. The larger H-S dome did not fit into the standard Hurricane spinner. The reason for there not being a modified spinner introduced is not clear to me, though some attempts were made. However, it's clear that performance without the spinner was just fine, so why bother.

I slipped into the museum last week to see the Hurricane, took some great shots, might have to change my sig. Its fantastic that Gord Hill was there for the presentation. I had the great fortune to meet him at the museum about 10 years ago for one of the fathers day events. It was latter in the afternoon and the crowds had died down and I got the chance to talk to Gord for the better part of an hour. We talked till the museum closed. Just having met him for minutes one could tell he is a fine person and a gentleman. I will always remember his stories of flying Hurricanes, P 40s in Canada and especially flying Spitfires in combat in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back