A-1 sky raider crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very possibly a connection Matt. There were 'officialy' three or four members of a particular unit, who were not American or Australian, who were in country as 'advisers' around that time, and the Bev was used as a heavy drop aircraft, the biggest in Europe and the RAF up until that time. Putting two and two together and making five, maybe, but I did notice that the Bev in the photograph was parked all alone, away from other aircraft on the ramp.

...perhaps the gears retracted while it was running up, or taxying? Oops! Wrong lever or button? It would explain the closeness to structures. Also wouldn't there be more damage on the airframe if it belly-landed? Especially to the bottom of the cowl? And great spot on the "no markings"! I think I could have looked at this picture for 100 years and never noticed that!

On second look I take it back. The pitch of the prop is not correct, it IS for feathering and the blade would have protected the cowl. Man, sometimes I should just be spanked.

Last edited:
...perhaps the gears retracted while it was running up, or taxying? Oops! Wrong lever or button? It would explain the closeness to structures. Also wouldn't there be more damage on the airframe if it belly-landed? Especially to the bottom of the cowl? And great spot on the "no markings"! I think I could have looked at this picture for 100 years and never noticed that!

On second look I take it back. The pitch of the prop is not correct, it IS for feathering and the blade would have protected the cowl. Man, sometimes I should just be spanked.

Vick - I do know the SPAD had a WOW switch on the MLG that prevented the gear from being retracted while on the ground.

That's a Rotol prop - on a single engine installation I believe it can't be feathered. It looks feathered because the bending of the blades probably over centered the pitch mech.

As far as the lack of damage on the belly - not uncommon on for a skilled pilot on a psp runway.

Last edited:
So...my dad says it was Air America and it was FULL of radio equipment, and that it was gone the next morning.........no one heard it leave.....he believes they replaced the prop and flew it out.

How long do you think it would take to strip the wings off and load it up on a C-130. A jolly green extraction sounds pretty good too.

I think taking the wings off would be too time consuming.

CH53AliftsA1andA4.jpg

Thanks FlyboyJ. I guess it would be more reasonable to just put some straps on it and haul it off by helicopter. You would figure someone would have heard that thing, as a CH-53 isnt the quietest thing in the world, lol.

In Vietnam a CH-53 would be normal "white noise" during sleep time!

It's amazing what you can get used to.
I live on a takeoff flight path from Ontario airport and the planes don't wake me anymore.
For a long time those 3am flights woke me up because, to me, they sounded like they were landing on the roof. :lol:
The weirdest time was the few days after 9-11 when no planes were in the air. The quiet of that was spooky.

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back