A-1 sky raider crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

klarmie

Airman
Aug 9, 2008
IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

I havn't had to the chance to ask him yet, but it looks like to me they might have moved it there.....awful close to the buildings for it to had stopped there.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

I'll have to ask him....but I know his home base was Vung Tau.

Nice pics. VB, the way the prop blades are bent is a sign the engine was under power when the blades contacted the ground. When the engine is stopped, or at idle etc, the blades would bend backwards.

Nice pics. VB, the way the prop blades are bent is a sign the engine was under power when the blades contacted the ground. When the engine is stopped, or at idle etc, the blades would bend backwards.

I think he might have meant how three blades go one way and the fourth goes the other way?

From the looks of the bending, and the angle (pitch) of the prop, it appears to me that the prop was feathered at the time it was bellied in...

If it was "windmilling", think that might explain why the one blade is bent in the opposite direction?

She slid backwards at the end of the landing.

And FlyboyJ has my vote for the most intriguing question. Why a bird with NO MARKINGS on a US base. That must be a story in itself.

I wonder if it was an ex Navy bird that the Air Force had gotten and not painted it yet?

Last edited:
Oops! I didn't look properly, did I!? I had though the blades were bent forward, and they're not. And Dave, you're right - the prop is feathered, and I assume must have been windmilling and hit hard.
Another thing which intrigues me, concerning an earlier pic, is what was an RAF Beverley doing on an air base in Viet Nam? The area wouldn't be on any routes as a stop-off point, and Britain didn't have any 'official' involvement at the time. Interesting.

Another thing which intrigues me, concerning an earlier pic, is what was an RAF Beverley doing on an air base in Viet Nam? The area wouldn't be on any routes as a stop-off point, and Britain didn't have any 'official' involvement at the time. Interesting.

Which picture? Dont forget that the RAAF was active in Vietnam too.

I'm not sure but the Beverly could have been in Thailand. I know my dad was in and out of Thailand alot.

Sorry Syscom, I was refereing to a previous post by Klarmie, 'I.D. this aircraft', which showed a RAF Blackburn Beverley. AFAIK, the RAAF weren't equipped with the type, which were used by the RAF in the UK, Germany and the Middle East, being withdrawn from service in late 1967.
It's possible that one was in Thailand for some reason, but not a normal port of call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back