A/C converted to twin seat configuration

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
While trolling through the net , I came across this strange...read butt ugly !... conversion of a P39 into a twin seat trainer, and got wonder what other types where converted.

I believe that the following had 'conversions' whether for training or use as a 'hack'....
P47's (Razor backs)
Hurricane
Spitfire
Kitty Hawk
Bearcat ?

What have you heard of and do you have any pics / backgound stories ?

Obviously both the P-51b/C and D. Attached is the 51B converted to two seater w/malcolm hood.

My father is in the P-51D giving my visting 5th Ranger uncle a ride in the two seat conversion

Attachments

• 357 OS# 43-6991_two seat conversion_Gresham_Gablingen [randa.jpg
    357 OS# 43-6991_two seat conversion_Gresham_Gablingen [randa.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 355fg Marshall taxiing two seater out at Gablingen [thompson.jpg
    355fg Marshall taxiing two seater out at Gablingen [thompson.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 355fg Marshall-two seat 51_413659_jul1945 [marshall].jpg
    355fg Marshall-two seat 51_413659_jul1945 [marshall].jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 55
There was a P-59 conversion that had a flight test engineer sitting in an open cockpit in the nose.

Found this on the two-seat Spit.....

Supermarine developed a two-seat variant known as the T Mk VIII to be used for training, but none were ordered, and only one example was ever constructed (identified as N32/G-AIDN by Supermarine).[76] In the absence of an official two-seater variant, a number of airframes were crudely converted in the field. These included a 4(SAAF) Squadron Mk VB in North Africa, where a second seat was fitted instead of the upper fuel tank in front of the cockpit, although it was not a dual-control aircraft and is thought to have been used as the squadron "run-about."[77] The only unofficial two-seat conversions that were fitted with dual-controls were a small number of Russian lend/lease Mk IX aircraft. These were referred to as Mk IX UTI and differed from the Supermarine proposals by using an inline "greenhouse" style double canopy rather than the raised "bubble" type of the T Mk VIII.[77]

In the postwar era, the idea was revived by Supermarine and a number of two-seat Spitfires were built by converting old Mk IX airframes with a second "raised" cockpit featuring a bubble canopy. Ten of these TR9 variants were then sold to the Indian Air Force along with six to the Irish Air Corps, three to the Royal Dutch Air Force and one for the Royal Egyptian Air Force[76]. Today, only a handful of the trainers are known to exist, including both the T Mk VIII and a T Mk IX based in the U.S., and the "Grace Spitfire" ML407 – a variant of the Mk IX that is a privately owned (formerly IAC-162) TR9 and operates out of Duxford, UK. The second cockpit of this aircraft has been lowered and is now below the front cockpit. This modification is known as the Grace Canopy Conversion, and was designed by Nick Grace, who rebuilt ML407. IAC-161 (Previously PV202) has also been recently restored to flying condition.

TO

Attachments

• SpitfireDuxford2JM.jpg
    SpitfireDuxford2JM.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 124
Great shots Bill. First time I've seen a P51B with two 'Malcolm' hoods; only ever seen a conversion with the framed canopy.Thanks for posting.
Gary, the 2 seat Spit was originally a conversion, then a limited number (I think either 8 or 16) were built as TR9. Didn't know about a 2 seat Hurricane!
Of course, both the Bf109 and FW190 were produced as two seat, dual control trainers, and the Sea Fury.
Terry.
Edit; TO beat me to it! The Spit info is bang on!

Just fully read TO's post.
The 'Grace' Spitfire, ML407, actually began life as a MkIX, and served with 485 (NZ) Sqn, RAF, being flown during 1944 by New Zealander Johnnie Houlton, who was given a flight in 'his' converted aircraft when he visited the UK a few years back. The aircraft carries the markings worn when he flew it in combat. I've got some pics of it during the war, but can't get to the book at the moment. Incidentally, this book, 'Spitfire Strikes', by Johnnie Houlton, is superb, and well worth looking at.
Terry.

When I was on the USS Essex I flew in an AD Skyraider that had been
set up with side-by-side seating for flight training. It was mostly used for
a hack, or VIP joy rides.

Charles

What about this FW190 that I shot at Hendon UK:

Maybe this one earlier? This is what my father flew at Gablingen before flying the 109D-9.

The 109 two seater he also flew but not another 109. He didn't like it as much as the 190D-9 but who knows how well any of them were rigged?

Attachments

• 355fg foe Fw190 trainer-gablingen [marshall].jpg
    355fg foe Fw190 trainer-gablingen [marshall].jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 355fg TF51D_Marshall_413649  jul1945[marshall].JPG
    355fg TF51D_Marshall_413649 jul1945[marshall].JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 355fg Me109K two seater_Gablingen_sep1945 [marshall].jpg
    355fg Me109K two seater_Gablingen_sep1945 [marshall].jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 355fg foe Fw 190 at Gablingen_aug1945 [marshall].JPG
    355fg foe Fw 190 at Gablingen_aug1945 [marshall].JPG
    68 KB · Views: 126
Different soviet hurricane from the book Hurricanes in foreign service by ajaks publishing

Attachments

• Hawker Hurricane.JPG
    Hawker Hurricane.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 127

Users who are viewing this thread

Back