A flying Messerschmitt Me 163

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder if you could just use a solid fuel rocket engine, like the ones used in model rockets, just way bigger. The downside is you could use it once.

The Me163B rocket had a thrust of appromately 4000lbs, how is a jet with less than 250 lbs of thrust going to do anything ?
I'm sure the modern one without the origional rocket and all the tanks weighs less than the origional's 4000lb empty weight, but the engine that powered the less than 400lb BD-5J isn't nearly enough.
Well, let's see...a modern replica made with modern lightweight materials versus the 1940's glue-lam and steel building materials...a modern lightweight jet engine and corresponding fuel cell(s) in place of the original hydrogen-peroxide rocket motor and reinforced fuel chambers.
No need for the seat/cockpit armor and the heavy nose generator is no longer required, since the jet has an alternated output.
And there is probably not the need to be carrying two Mk108 30mm cannon and ammo either, which shaves a considerable amount of weight right there.
Add to that, no longer having the need to ascend to 40,000 feet as quickly as possible.

Perhaps the engine I stated would not work, but that was an example of the variety of compact jet engines available out there.

I'm sure it would weigh less, but it's never going to approach the weight of a BD-5J, 400 lbs verses 4000lbs.
The Me163 has no air inlet and a small outlet for the rocket, redesign that too much and you no longer have a Me163.

Aint there some way to use any old military rocket like the one from a Redeye? The trust from it may be short, but can it give enought push for the Me 163 to make a good show for the spectators? After all they dont need it to see it reach up to 12km and have over 900km/h in speed. By the way how about put in a 2,500 pound thrust liquid oxygen (LOX) and ethanol rocket engine from Armadillo Aerospace? This rocket has been used whit success in the Rocket Racing League.

A rocket to this plane should not go over 17 kN (3,800 lbf). Thats what the original engine does. A rocket propelled whit soild fuel instead of liqued one should work fine whit this plane if you dont whant bigger and longer thrust.

Yes, the glider replica does not weight 4000 pounds at all.
"Empty weight is 285 kg,
maximum weight around 400"
Still thinking around 100Kgp turbojet is far enough.
And manageable.
Air intake still is the main problem of course, but feasible plus discrete as a 100Kgp engine is not an air gluton. Jet exhaust is large enough for a tiny turbojet.
If there is a real will, almost anything is possible I guess.

Last edited:
I don't think i'd want a solid fuel rocket, as far as I know, they can't be throttled. Once you start them, they go till full thrust till they burn out.

I knew the non powered replica would weigh less, but I didn't expect that much less.

A rocket powered by liqued fuel that's poverfull as the original one sure I whanna have a trottle on it. But this replika who have a maxium weight of 400kg surley it whould be good enought whit a little solid fuel rocket that burns for only few second and gives a good show to the spectators when it reach enought up to 200m or more and then glide down.

Sure, would be a lot of fun to see and hear, including fumes, smell, roar and maybe exhaust shockwaves.
But where ?
According to European laws for civilian aviation, this cannot be.
Sad but true.
The reason I think a little turbojet engine replica would have much more chances for flying approval certification.

You guys may be having fun, but even if you did get a rocket engine into that thing, you know damn well the regulatory authorities would never let you fly it at your typical airshow. :lol: I miss the good ole days of airshow voyuerism, where the crowd would be watching the current airplane and up would sneak behind the crowd on the deck flat out but an F-101 Voodoo! Birmingham airport. About 1974 I think.

So right Matt !
I can still remember a 150 feet Concorde full throttle ressource, say "at the top of my nose",400+ mph P 51, P 47, F4U, Spits 30 ft high passes, or half mile away, 100 feet high Mirages 2000 and 4000 banging together! Was good old times, still remember those fantastic vibrations, since one dumbass pilot live crashed a A320 when everything changed.
Or even a dumbass A320 crashed his crew and passengers ?
Who knows ?
I saw things my son will never see.

i am surprised the original size glider version is that THAT light....but wonder if it would be able to take the stress of a jet engine...even one that small. its one thing to be towed and cut loose and be pushed to take off speed and climb. the BD took it of course but i would think it was a lot smaller...

Last edited:
oh yeah, the times have certainly changed...back in the day, they always had the Blue Angels at MCAS El Toro during the Base's annual air show and open house...

Aside from the Blue Angels always putting on a kickass show, the Marines would always toss in a little crowd pleaser (or two) with such fun stuff like a down and dirty hot pass by an F4 Phantom with it's candles lit which would rock the spectator's world. One year, I recall an incredible pass by a USAF F-104 (me being a kid at the time, thought nothing will ever be cooler than this...ever) that delivered a sonic boom on it's second and departing pass...

Good times!

You guys may be having fun, but even if you did get a rocket engine into that thing, you know damn well the regulatory authorities would never let you fly it at your typical airshow. :lol: I miss the good ole days of airshow voyuerism, where the crowd would be watching the current airplane and up would sneak behind the crowd on the deck flat out but an F-101 Voodoo! Birmingham airport. About 1974 I think.

Did something similar like that at Millville Airshow in 2004. Everyone was watching the airfield when behind the crowd and on the deck zoomed an F-111....LOUD!!!!! Diaper and TP sales increased in the next 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back