A flying Messerschmitt Me 163 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flyes pretty well no ?
Wooden build in two years by an ex-Luftwaffe pilot, M. Kurtz.
Ty for sharing, as far as I knew, she was for sale.
Seems to be owned by EADS firm by now.

Just thinking and just a joke : I know it will never happen ( Saint crisis ruling our European new civilization), could EADS fit any little turbojet into this little, but knowned as a rugged wooden structure ?

Last edited:
That would be a lot of fun. I wonder if you could fit a small jet engine into it.
Heck, why not?

With today's technology, they have some pretty compact and lightweight jet engines available that would probably be suitable. Having a much smaller and lighter engine means more room for the fuel cell and not overloading the airframe.

This glider is not new as far as I know.
Building began around 1996.
To finish around 1998 !
Pretty fast indeed, no ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to get a manufactured engine that fit to it. or does the maker have to make a homebuild one?

Guess an Turbomeca Marboré II or equivalent should fit.
Best place for air intakes should be in the wing roots to respect as far as possible the original design.
500 mph max speed level flight ?

I think they put an engine in one a few years ago.................

me163b-1a_takeoff.jpg

Yes, of course Njaco.
Just a kind of "what if", Luft 2013.
What if a small turbojet was fitted in a tiny 163 wooden replica.
Could be of some interest I guess, plus maybe a godamn money maker, no ?

Great stuff!
Two of these tiny engines powered this little beauty - now at the Midland Air Museum. I think they's probably fit the bill nicely!
But, as the Me 163 used a rocket engine, there was no air intake on the original. How would that be configured, without radical re-design I wonder?

Attachments

• Midland Air Museum 301.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 301.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 169
  • Midland Air Museum 064.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 064.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 167
Sure, it would be radical.
But : not anyone would have balls today flying the rocket engined 163.
Except me, hummm in fact, no.
Wingroots small, for a small engine, air intakes should be aestheticaly tolerable i guess.
Anyhow, who would do this ?
Bit sad cause, even if not rich, I would pay to see the bird fly.
Ps : Aiframe, what's'the conplete name of your wonderfull "stiletto" Leopard bird ?

Last edited:
Jack - it's the Chichester-Miles 'Leopard', a four-seat business jet. The one shown is the second of three protoypes built, and completed 84 test flights in 1997, powered by two of the specially designed jet engines, one of which is shown in the display case alongside the aircraft. Although it flew well, with good handling and performance, the project was eventually shelved, I think from lack of further funding, but not sure on that without checking with the museum.
It's a beaut of an aircraft, with an interior like a four seat sports car, and is less than one and a half metres in height, standing on it's landing gear.

How about a TJ-100 axial turbojet by PBS Turbines?

Specifications
Thrust: 110 daN (247 lbf)
Length: 625 mm (24.6 in)
Outside diameter: 272 mm (10.7 in)
Total weight: 20,6 kg (45.4 lb)
Electrical power output: 750 W; 28 V
Fuel: JET A-1, JP5, JP8
Specific fuel consumption min: 1,09 kg/daN/h (1.09 1/h)
Oil: 3 cST / 5 cST
Operating Temperature: -30 ~ +50 °C (-22 ~ +122 °F)

Add some air inlets perhaps at the wingroots or in another "clean" area to allow for through-flow...

Bobbysocks :
Sermel TRS-18-046/Turbomeca Microturbo Cougar. 100Kgp.
GrauGeist : nice, guess should fit.

Last edited:
The Me163B rocket had a thrust of appromately 4000lbs, how is a jet with less than 250 lbs of thrust going to do anything ?
I'm sure the modern one without the origional rocket and all the tanks weighs less than the origional's 4000lb empty weight, but the engine that powered the less than 400lb BD-5J isn't nearly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back