A great F105 website

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

75% of all sorties over North Vietnam were F-105s. Truly an unsung hero piloted by heroes.

Lots of entertainment there. I still am struggling with the 75% of all sorties by USAF in Rolling Thunder conducted by F-105s. Think about that in modern warfare. If you look at the types and numbers of aircraft lost in Vietnam it is actually quite staggering. Not to complicate matters, but I was under the impression that much more B-52s were lost, just in Operation Linebacker. Johnson and MacNamara aside (pig effers), can you imagine the Cold War turning hot in Europe what kinds of numbers we might have seen? Holy crap. :shock:

Aircraft losses of the Vietnam War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ANG used to fly them here or there being the US but the approach was over head

Heres the F105 from the March Air Base museum.

Attachments

• P3280161A.JPG
    P3280161A.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 144
Lots of entertainment there. I still am struggling with the 75% of all sorties by USAF in Rolling Thunder conducted by F-105s. Think about that in modern warfare. If you look at the types and numbers of aircraft lost in Vietnam it is actually quite staggering. Not to complicate matters, but I was under the impression that much more B-52s were lost, just in Operation Linebacker. Johnson and MacNamara aside (pig effers), can you imagine the Cold War turning hot in Europe what kinds of numbers we might have seen? Holy crap. :shock:

Aircraft losses of the Vietnam War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The heaviest lifter of the 105 wings was the 355th. For a long time they were the top MiG killers and by the end of their tour at Takhli, they dropped 202,000 tons (1/3 of all the bombs dropped by all the B-17s in all of WWII).

and they had the highest losses..of all the USAF

:p I've checked out a lot of the F 105 sites you are right this is a good! one. The F105 is one of my all time favourite Classic aircraft, along with the Hunter Bucaneer.... They tried very hard to replace Thud with F111 we all know that story.......:cry:

Attachments

• 4ship4.gif
    4ship4.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 122
  • greatthud4.jpg
    greatthud4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 119
:p I've checked out a lot of the F 105 sites you are right this is a good! one. The F105 is one of my all time favourite Classic aircraft, along with the Hunter Bucaneer.... They tried very hard to replace Thud with F111 we all know that story.......:cry:

Another 355TFW ship out of Takhli. 357th FS/355th TFW F-105D ~ 1967 inbound to Route Pack 6

Two different missions and the F-111 performed well in missions the 105 was never designed to do... the 105 never had the radar or all weather capability of the 111 - basically the 105 was just a lot faster

The F-105 did a mission well that it was never designed to do (daylight level bombing) and another that nobody though of - Wild Weasel..

The specific F-105 that Syscom put up there was the only F-105 that killed three Migs..(two different pilots) - don't know if any specific F-4 or F-8 shot down as many

Note that last pic contains a load out of 750lb bombs with a .50BMG barrel screwed into the nose to "make the bomb stick". Not sure how that manifests itself in actual real life with 11sec fuses, but I have to imagine that a hardened steel nose would bury that bomb pretty deep.

Note that last pic contains a load out of 750lb bombs with a .50BMG barrel screwed into the nose to "make the bomb stick". Not sure how that manifests itself in actual real life with 11sec fuses, but I have to imagine that a hardened steel nose would bury that bomb pretty deep.

I wonder about effectiveness.

It looks like you have to a.) depend entirely on the tail fuse, and b.) assume that a 50 cal barrel combined with a 25G impact doesn't fracture the bomb casing?

One of the big problems we had with the early LGB, is that pilots would drop at extreme slant range and the impact angle (low) tended to shear the FMU-81 nose fuse/control case away from nose - and tail fuse had a high failure rate.

Lots of entertainment there. I still am struggling with the 75% of all sorties by USAF in Rolling Thunder conducted by F-105s. Think about that in modern warfare. If you look at the types and numbers of aircraft lost in Vietnam it is actually quite staggering. Not to complicate matters, but I was under the impression that much more B-52s were lost, just in Operation Linebacker.

IIRC, the percentage of B-52's lost per sortie/aircraft over Vietnam during the Arc Light strikes was extremely low, comparatively speaking, something like 2%. Yes, several a/c were lost, but compared to the number of B-52's used during the campaign, and the number of sorties they flew, it was extremely low.

IIRC, the percentage of B-52's lost per sortie/aircraft over Vietnam during the Arc Light strikes was extremely low, comparatively speaking, something like 2%. Yes, several a/c were lost, but compared to the number of B-52's used during the campaign, and the number of sorties they flew, it was extremely low.

Even Linebacker II had relatively low loss rates for the Buff's considering the intensity of the Hanoi air defense..

But the Thud was going over nearly every day from 65 through 68 as the primary strike weapon up North. It is still staggering to know that just the 355th TFW dropped 1/3 of all the tonnage dropped by all the B-17s during WWII.

IIRC the 355th lost 179 Thuds over N.Vietnam and Laos due to enemy action. 23 more to Ops accidents around Thailand between April 1965 and Sept 1970.

Curiously this is close to the number of ships lost for the 355th in VietNam as in WWII... and equally curious the dominant cause was AAA (and Sam's)

These numbers include Wild Weasel losses with 10 lost air to air against MiGs, for 21 MiGs shot down and 9 destroyed on ground.

The 354FS/355TFW ship that Syscom posted shot down two MiGs with Brestel and one with Basel and shown as Basel's 'bird' in mid 1967.

The F-105D at Davis-Monthan is represented as same ship.

Wild Weasel mission 5 November 1967 - Wikisource

This is a link to a story about Lt. Col Billy Sparks - one of the USAF great characters and pall bearer along with Gen Earthquake McGoon Bob Titus at Olds Funeral. It was only after Titus finished his eulogy that the rarest of emotions - combined laughter and sobs from each knuckledragging fighter pilot could be heard at the same time and same breath.

Billy liked to think he ably assisted Titus and Olds for their 7+ MiG kills as "dumb bait' in his Weasel and frequently cadged young and old scotch from each whenever possible for their abuse.

A worthwhile read of one of the 355th's great combat leaders.

I've read where the gun on the 105 was pointed downward at about 2.5degrees for strafing is this fact or fiction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back