"A Higher Call" by Adam Makos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
"A Higher Call"
By Adam Makos with Larry Alexander
Berkley Publishing Group – 2013
ISBN: 978-0-425-25286-4

Higher Call.jpg

Imagine you are returning from your first mission bombing Germany. You had just watched another B-17 flying with you explode and the 5 Bf 109s that caused it are now attacking you. You power dive 19,000 feet and manage to escape your attackers but you are in sad shape. As your plane is slowly losing altitude heading towards home you take stock in your situation. You are down to one operating machine gun. Your tail gunner is dead, his faced removed with several 20mm shells. Another gunner is out with a leg barely attached. The radio operator's radio has exploded sending fragments into his face, blood trickling from an eye and his hands frost bitten. Other crew members are wounded and you yourself have been hit in the shoulder. The left stabilizer is gone, hydraulics are bleeding, the nose has been blown off and there are holes in the fuselage big enough to crawl through. You have 1 good engine, 2 rough ones, and 1 dead making your top speed 135 mph, just above the stall speed. Now you are about to enter one of the heaviest flak zones in Germany.
How can this get any worse?

At the moment you look out of your window into the eyes of a Luftwaffe pilot flying right next to you.

"Oh <bleep>!"

This book was published this past January (2013) and tells the story of a B-17 pilot 2Lt Charlie Brown and a Luftwaffe Fighter pilot 2Lt Franz Stigler, their first meeting in 1943 and their 2nd in 1990. The book is 387 pages long divided into 25 Chapters with 82 pictures. A number of the elite Luftwaffe fighter pilots are featured as Lt Stigler ended the war flying with JV 44. I will warn you however the German's calling the P-38 the Forked Tail Devil is in the book, but I am not sure if that is from the author or from one of the pilots he interviewed. Regardless this was an excellent read.

I have to give it 10 Salutes to both pilots!

Read this one....excellent read! Especially liked reading about Stigler when he was in Africa.

I'm almost done reading it and it's a good book, although some of the author's gee-whizzery and tendency towards superlatives can become annoying and, in at least one respect, leads to a definite factual error. He cites that the 379th BG flew the most sorties - that plainly isn't true as the 303rd BG holds that honour. Shame that such nitnoids weren't picked up and corrected in an otherwise fascinating read.

I just finished reading this book; great story. I found the audio book at the library and was listening to it as I was traveling to and from Las Vegas a couple of months ago and decided to purchase the book from B&N.

I'm reminded of a story I once read about The Japanese Ace Saburo Sakai who on a mission over I think Indonesia encountered an American C47 or C46. They were under orders to shoot down any and all allied aircraft, but when he saw that it was a hospital plane he chose not to destroy it and let it go.

This was one of the best WW2 books I have ever read. It shows that humanity is not always lost in war.

I echo all the above.
My wife got me the book just as a gift and I read it within a week. I just couldn't put the book down.
It is by far the best read you can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back