A new book in my library. (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So yeppers, an history, an hotel, an hotdog, whilst I think of it....

Only if you're posh. Where I come from, it was a history, a hotel, a hotdog, while I was thinking of it. Then again, I'm as common as muck.

Then there was the extra "u" on colour, etc.

Brit's don't have an extra 'u' in colour....Americans have one less, though! :)

It would be spoken as "an 'istorical cover up" although rarely is !

I'll let you know Jim.
Started in on it, and the first quarter or so, deals with the background to, and the invasions of Holland, Belgium, Norway and Denmark, and the use of 'Brandengurgers', and has now moved on to the development and installation of Britain's RDF (radar) chain, presumably 'setting the scene' for what's to come.
Having read about so-called German landings, and recently watched a documentary on the subject, I have doubts about any convincing 'new' evidence, but I'll keep an open mind until finishing the book.
Martin Bowman is a well-known and generally respected historian / author, so it'll be interesting to see his views.

download (1).jpg

Like too many other recent purchases, another thread here on the forum motivated me to find more books on the British Big 3 WWII bombers. While volumes on the Lancaster are easy to find, for the Lancaster's bridesmaids, the Halifax and Stirling the search is bit harder.
So, having found a volume by Victor Bingham, this was a no-brainer as he authored books that always stand as brilliant single volume introductory books on the subject aircraft or engines. This is a good, solid four-star book.
I was surprised to see the landing gear and hydraulics got a chapter on their own, but was pleased as, because as an American the visually complex, over-sized, bridge like landing gear of these bombers (Particularly the Stirling) has always mystified me. Regrettably the chapter failed to really provide an explanation. (I assume it was to provide a favorable angle of attack for grass runways and to facilitate loading the long, shallow bomb-bay preference of the RAF.
Other chapters in no particular order include development, testing, production, operations, transport variants and postwar use.
As a former Halifax crew-member, the author openly states his affection for the airplane and defends it vigorously against the Lancaster and argues against its reputation as the second best of the two.
This is an excellent stand-alone volume on the Halifax and would also be a useful companion volume to an operational history or to a color monograph produced for the modeling market. Overall, the book shows its age as there literally nothing here for the modeler.
Modelers should ignore this book while it's recommended for anyone interested in British WWII Bomber development, the Halifax or Halifax operations.

While our modelers have their "shelf of doom" or their "stash", I'd bet the readers have their "backlog of books shelf". Mine is now two books short as I finished this one and "A MiG-15 to Freedom" so far this week.
download (2).jpg

This volume serves as both an excellent history of the F-107A itself and as modeler's guide in search of a model.
Well-illustrated, the author has included excepts from the flight test through disposition and display of each aircraft in addition to the usual Ginter formatting of development and technical illustrations. The coverage of the loss to the F-105 will undoubtedly rankle fans of both aircraft, but the truth of the matter is the F-105 was capable of carrying more ordnance and probably by virtual of the intake design had greater growth potential for a second crewman or additional equipment.
Since this is an older Legends volume dating to 2002 and before Ginter discovered color some modelers will be disappointed should the old Trumpeter kit be re-released or perhaps a modern 1/48th kit is released.
Highly recommended for anyone interested in the aircraft whether out of technical curiosity, interest in the F-107A program itself, and modelers.

20200330_222326.jpg

Bought this looking for more information on armed 247Y for China...same two pictures as on the internet. Bummer, but the text is a keeper.
20200330_222356.jpg

Will have to brush up on my Italian (google translate)! Many awesome pictures. Needed this one for the series.
20200330_222426.jpg

Bought for NEI Air Force markings and low and behold it was written buy our own Jim Maas! Lovely article, any updates Jim?

View attachment 575652
Bought this looking for more information on armed 247Y for China...same two pictures as on the internet. Bummer, but the text is a keeper.
View attachment 575653
Will have to brush up on my Italian (google translate)! Many awesome pictures. Needed this one for the series.
View attachment 575654
Bought for NEI Air Force markings and low and behold it was written buy our own Jim Maas! Lovely article, any updates Jim?
The book on the 247 isn't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back