A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Never heard of this book till I saw it. For 5 bucks I had to have it since I love bombers. Hope its a good read.

HPIM3523.JPG

Airabonita.jpg

This is another purchase because of a thread here. I went to go look and.....the book was missing.

Bought to replace a missing volume this is pretty much a standard NF with one noticeable exception. The author uses 22 pages to explain the contemporary philosophies and issues to explain why Navy became interested in a liquid cooled engine along with an epilogue covering what happened with liquid cooled engines and the Navy after the XFL-1 was disposed of.

Overall for your 56 pages you do get an excellent overview of shipboard fighter procurement from 1937 to 1940. Interspersed throughout are a few tables and performance graphs that are pretty interesting and may open a few eyes to the actual altitude and speed performance of the XFL-1.

There are plenty of high-quality photographs for the modelers and the nuts and bolts types along with sufficient text covering the development and flight testing. One aspect that's missing here compared to the average NF series is the lack of technical drawings that are generally reproduced from various BuAer/NavAir sources. In this case the photographs are more than likely adequate for modelers.

For the modelers, one minor flaw (not the fault of the author.) is the panel shot on page 33 is missing the tach below the vertical speed indicator and the clock. The photos on the following page show the tach in both photo's and the clock in one photo.

This is a profusely illustrated, excellent history of the XFL-1 that is recommended without reservation for anyone interested in Naval Aviation, and modelers.

F-14 Gillcrist.jpg

This volume also came up missing during my search for the Bell XFL-1 book.

Published 12 years before the F-14 sunset the and now a 26 year old book, this volume still stands as an excellent description of the first twenty years of service of the F-14 and really just starts getting into the late development of the Air to Ground mission which had been latent in the AWQ- 9 since the beginning.

Since the author was involved in the program there's a lot of "I was there, did that, done that" stories on how the airplane was developed and modified in service which is okay, as Admiral Gillcrist had plenty to brag about.

This is not a "operational history" per se, but does cover operational use of the F-14 and pretty much predicted how the F-14 would end. (Cheney and the -18 mafia.) Interestingly enough the chapters covering the '91 Gulf and Red Sea operations pretty much forecast the events over AFG later vis-à-vis the F-18 and combat range.

Admiral Gillcrist also glosses over (By not mentioning them.) some of the quality problems from both Grumman and Pratt Whitney that persisted up to late 80's as well some decisions made by the Navy TF30 Program Manager's that adversely affected the ability of the TF30 to make it's guaranteed 750 Hour Hot Section Interval.

The final chapters cover what could have been with the Tomcat 21, future concepts, a brief chapter on the future of Naval Aviation and a bit on the (then) future F-18E which has nothing in common with the F-18C except for the rivets. The Admiral was correct in his predictions as the F-18E didn't have nearly the legs or the payload of the F-14 which was 23 years older.

As a personal aside? He gets a few dates and places wrong. But there's nothing that is serious and detracts from the book. (A few that stood out for me personally were the transition end dates for VF-31 and VF-202 and the Post PPC481 static military thrust and weight ratings for the TF-30 are different inflight and on the deck. Admiral Gillcrist only used the military thrust with the 9th stage bleeds open.)

Well-illustrated with various "action photographs, detail photographs useful for modelers are conspicuous by their absence in this book. Modelers would probably be well served to avoid this one. Highly recommended as an introduction to the F-14 and its introduction and operations in the fleet up to about 1993-1994.

Because I mention quality issues with Grumman, I'm going to post a companion review on a book written by a former Grumman CEO as well.

Ironworks.jpg

Enjoyable Read, Questionable Accuracy
Real mixed feelings on this one. Some editing issues aside as a transcribed "oral history" of Grumman from the perspective of an Officer of the Company I felt that the story was pretty readable. I enjoyed reading the non-F-14 related stories and as retired navy recognized some of the navy related events from a then contemporary view.
However, some recollections by Mr. Skurla directly contradicted my 13 years of experience with the F-14 and distantly the A-6 and E-2. They completely soured me on the book.
For example, his comments about the number and quality of the Grumman Field Service Reps? I saw no more than two airframe reps during my seven years of sea-time/deployments. However, in his defense, our Wing E-2C radar FSR was extremely proactive and could always be found in either the IM-3 or VAW maintenance spaces.
The drive for quality/acceptance by the navy? We sent several brand new F-14s back to the factory in 1985 after finding bolts lying around the turtle-back where they were right next to the flight control torque tubes. I found cigarette butts in the wing-tip fuel pick-up screens.
I served on both coasts and Texas with three F-14 squadrons, seven AIMD departments and four ships, so I don't believe my perception is limited by limited geographical/professional exposure.
My other criticism is speculation on my part. How could somebody in his position be so ignorant of, or unable to control some of the people or events described within the book? It left me with the feeling that perhaps Mr. Skurla saw in the book an opportunity to revise history in his favor. (It's nothing more than a feeling on my part and certainly no more than a human foible on the part of Mr. Skurla if it's in fact true.)
I'm glad I purchased the book. But, not recommended

Normally I don't post modern stuff but today I got these two at the half price book store. The Tuskegee airmen for me and the other one for my son who is an avid jet fan and has a small library of his own. Hopefully he will happy with the new addition.

HPIM3524.JPG

"An" Historical Cover Up??

Hi Fubar,

Yeah, it's some sort of Brit thing. My mom was from Yorkshire and my dad a Scot, so all the books sent by my relatives had Brit spellings and syntax - really screwed me up for the first few years in Connecticut's public schools! (My teacher flipped out when I sang the lyrics to "God save the Queen" when she played "America" on the piano -- my mom loved it though!) Then there was the extra "u" on colour, etc.

So yeppers, an history, an hotel, an hotdog, whilst I think of it....

Cheers,

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back