A new book in my library. (8 Viewers)

Made a day trip to the USAF Museum in Dayton OH10 and picked up these 3.
books.jpg
 
Both the Bab's books look very good at first glance, but as an ex Mechanic the Flying Tigers book adapted from a crew chief's diary was is very interesting to me.
 
20250915_202837.jpg

Sadly the original author died and it was finished up by the author on the book. Though short on pages, it hits above its weight with a pictures, information and interior pictures and drawings i never saw before.

20250911_210044.jpg

Usually not a profile book guy, but this one has tons of photos and come on...Pacific B-17's...how could you not?

20250911_210053.jpg

I don't know anything about this book. Is it a poor mans "Sled Driver"?

20250911_210036.jpg

I love this series of books, and ship wrecks...
 
View attachment 847333
Sadly the original author died and it was finished up by the author on the book. Though short on pages, it hits above its weight with a pictures, information and interior pictures and drawings i never saw before.

View attachment 847335
Usually not a profile book guy, but this one has tons of photos and come on...Pacific B-17's...how could you not?

View attachment 847336
I don't know anything about this book. Is it a poor mans "Sled Driver"?

View attachment 847338
I love this series of books, and ship wrecks...
Nice
 
Anyone interested in me posting this one. I have not read it yet but scanned and cleaned the first few pages. 350 odd pages total

View attachment 847360View attachment 847367 View attachment 847368
Oh the places I could go!!!
 
In todays mail
2025-09-19_14-57-23_020.jpeg

This on I received about two weeks back. I've never been a fast reader, but this I could not put down. 370 pages in three day is a fast read for me but it is a MUST READ!!!
2025-09-17_14-29-22_521.jpeg
 
20250920_101223.jpg

Love this series, just wish they had more pages. Didn't know one of the first ones built, lasted a while after the war before being assigned to fire training and destroyed. One was the mount of a posthumous VC winner and another flew 33 missions! The most of the breed. Cool little book and not a bank breaker.
 
Last edited:
IMG_20250927_114816.jpg
IMG_20250927_114757.jpg
 
1759008890900.png

"Il-2 Sturmovik [Ground Attack Aircraft]: A Legend for All Times", by Oleg Rastrenin.
The book is the most comprehensive and detailed description of the Il-2 history of all known to me. The author - Oleg Rastrenin - is one of the best historians of Soviet aviation, who has long specialized in ground attack aviation and the Il-2 in particular. The author's view is rather critical, the book honestly describes all the problems of the Il-2 - from design flaws to poor manufacturing quality, as well as provides a serious analysis of the combat effectiveness of this aircraft. The author extensively quotes Soviet documents or refers to them, including those containing statistical data. The book could well be called "Il-2 Encyclopedia", and I know very few aviation monographs in general, which could be compared with it in terms of completeness of disclosure of the topic.
To everyone who is interested in the Soviet aviation history and/or the Il-2 story in particular and can read Russian, I strongly recommend to buy this undoubtedly excellent book. For those who do not speak Russian, I can only recommend any publications by Oleg Rastrenin in English (or any other available language).
 
View attachment 849128
"Il-2 Sturmovik [Ground Attack Aircraft]: A Legend for All Times", by Oleg Rastrenin.
The book is the most comprehensive and detailed description of the Il-2 history of all known to me. The author - Oleg Rastrenin - is one of the best historians of Soviet aviation, who has long specialized in ground attack aviation and the Il-2 in particular. The author's view is rather critical, the book honestly describes all the problems of the Il-2 - from design flaws to poor manufacturing quality, as well as provides a serious analysis of the combat effectiveness of this aircraft. The author extensively quotes Soviet documents or refers to them, including those containing statistical data. The book could well be called "Il-2 Encyclopedia", and I know very few aviation monographs in general, which could be compared with it in terms of completeness of disclosure of the topic.
To everyone who is interested in the Soviet aviation history and/or the Il-2 story in particular and can read Russian, I strongly recommend to buy this undoubtedly excellent book. For those who do not speak Russian, I can only recommend any publications by Oleg Rastrenin in English (or any other available language).
I have a very interesting Finnish book, I can't seem to finish it because I can't read Finnish, go figure!
 
I have many excellent reference books on IJNAF and IJAAF aircraft, all in Japanese!!
As do I, they also did others like the P-47, B-24, Ju 87, and I bought Kokufsn periodicals religiously while I was over there. Best aviation photographers anywhere!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back