A new book in my library. (8 Viewers)

2026-10-06_18-06-56_063.jpeg
 
It does discuss the ANZAC forces in New Guinea. But no, I've never heard anything that mentions anyone involved in Guadalcanal save for US and Japanese safe for coat watchers. Maybe you should write a book that covers the other allies involved. That said I do recall Naval forces from ANZAC and Dutch Navy. ABDBACOM. That is mentioned.
 
It does discuss the ANZAC forces in New Guinea. But no, I've never heard anything that mentions anyone involved in Guadalcanal save for US and Japanese safe for coat watchers. Maybe you should write a book that covers the other allies involved. That said I do recall Naval forces from ANZAC and Dutch Navy. ABDBACOM. That is mentioned.

Dad was in Guadalcanal and took several photos of RNZAF Hudsons and a RNZAF P-40 while there. I posted some of them in Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous and Picture of the day.

He was totally contemptuous of Guadalcanal Diary when I got a copy but otherwise said very little about the war.
 
Dad was in Guadalcanal and took several photos of RNZAF Hudsons and a RNZAF P-40 while there. I posted some of them in Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous and Picture of the day.

He was totally contemptuous of Guadalcanal Diary when I got a copy but otherwise said very little about the war.
Very few who went through it said anything about it. I can easily see that RNZAF and RAAF aircraft operations were run out of Henderson field, as well as the rest of the SW Pacific Command. That being said, combat troops I've never heard of any but US Marines and later Army.
 
From dads comments I have always believed the NZ army were there as well but I may be mistaken. He never mentioned the RAAF but maybe that is because he did not get to ride in an RAAF aircraft - just USAAF and RNZAF.
 
Well sounds like some research would be in as I've read several books on the SWP war, Guadalcanal was part of the PACCOM Nimitz, not SWPCOM (McAuthor) command. To my knowledge Aussie and NZ forces were primarily SWPCOM. Up the Solomon's and New Guinea. Just saying.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back