A new tool, at least for me, a cutting plotter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Honestly I don't know if this is the correct place to start this thread, in case isn't, admin pls move it in the right place.

In any case, a couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase a Portrait cutting plotter made by Silhouette, this one:
DSCN0771.JPG
DSCN0772.JPG

Main goal was to use it to make my own painting masks.
First project was to get correctly (???) sized David's stars for my Avia S-199 1/32 scale model.
Once I had what I hope are the correct sizes, I first did a drawing using an autocad type software:

maschere S199.jpg

The above dwg was exported to a vectorial software (Corel Draw) and then into the proprietary Silhouette software.
I loaded into the plotter an adhesive vinyl sheet and I made my masks that I used to start painting:

DSCN0797.JPG
DSCN0798.JPG

Above pictures aren't too good but what I think is clear is that the amount of vinyl masking material around the circles is much more then what you get from manufacturers of those masks, so the handling is much easier.
Next step will be to fit the negative star masking and spray the blue colour.

NEXT STEP

Next I tried something else.
Not yet posted in the relevant session, but I will do it soon, but on my just started MIG-3 model I had an issue: according to other modellers to get a more realistic cockpit it would be advisable to add a couple of ribs behind pilot's seat.
Standard approach is to cut them out of plast-icard, but I wanted to try my machine.
Drawing process is the same as above but different is the stuff to be cut.

I firstly tried with card-stock:
DSCN0787.JPG
DSCN0788.JPG
DSCN0789.JPG

the output isn't too bad but, as it can be appreciated in the middle picture, the cut itself isn't very sharp.
The greyish colour on some of them is an attempt to seal card-stock with MR. Surfacer 1000.

Therefore I wanted to try with plasti-card.

The 0.5 mm one is too thick, unfortunately but 0.30 mm works: the only little problem is that you must cut two each and glue them together, very easy done by the plotter.

DSCN0793.JPG

So here are they dry fit in their relevant position:

DSCN0794.JPG
DSCN0795.JPG
DSCN0796.JPG

Summary: these have been well spent money, at least i.m.h.o.
Any question I will be very happy to try to answer.
Alberto

Well, I got it from the Italian dealer for Silhouette, via e-bay, but it's available from Amazon as well and, I think, straight from the manufacturer:

Silhouette America

Alberto

Footnote:
I forgot to mention that, besides those drawing software I mentioned above, the tool comes with it's own drawing software:

Immagine Silhouette.jpg

the same used for cutting.

Last edited:
Very nice.

Coming from the sign trade vinyl for sign work is cut in the same manner, although these "plotters" run into the thousands of dollars and in widths up to 48". There are others on the market similar to your little one around 400 US.

Friskit film would work a treat for the masks. Although if the mask consists of itsy bitsy parts they may tear picking them up. Signshops use a very low tac paper tape, comes 36" wide, and wider, down to 1-1/2" width for small stuff. Simply apply this tape over the mask, after the to be painted area has been removed, then rub it down and slowly pull the applicator tape off and Wallah!

I been vacillating getting one.

So far I only tried circles on vinyl and they are perfect, much better then rotary cutters.
Very good also on those ribs cut off plasticard.
Alberto

Now I would like to buy it my power a cutting plotter all a revolution, almost no longer need to buy any aircraft models, to know how to draw on. Dwg and / or photoshop as they have already shared between the two formats have any details.

If you ever have it wrong and I give it away ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back