A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Real Halifax? Thought there were only two - the Elvington composite (real fuselage and other bits, Hastings wings) and the RAF Museum example, rescued from lake Hocklingen, Norway.

Great info Neil, many thanks.
I really think that whoever now runs Elvington are taking the p*** asking 60 quid per person to tour the Hally. OK, it costs to keep it in good condition (recently had to have cash spent on re-furbishing, due to structural problems with the floor), and donations to a museum are always welcome - but that cost seems very high to me. Either make it a reasonable charge, or don't have it open at all, unless for special requests from researchers, authors, TV companies etc., as most museums would.
No doubt I'll learn more when I visit the place - don't want to 'knock' them unjustifiably at this stage.

Great info Neil, many thanks.
I really think that whoever now runs Elvington are taking the p*** asking 60 quid per person to tour the Hally. OK, it costs to keep it in good condition (recently had to have cash spent on re-furbishing, due to structural problems with the floor), and donations to a museum are always welcome - but that cost seems very high to me. Either make it a reasonable charge, or don't have it open at all, unless for special requests from researchers, authors, TV companies etc., as most museums would.
No doubt I'll learn more when I visit the place - don't want to 'knock' them unjustifiably at this stage.
an interesting thing you might read about the Trenton Hallie is the the part on primer inside the aircraft
"Much of what appears to be corrosion in the pictures is actually just bare metal which as discoloured. In accordance with wartime efforts, the RAF did not bother with priming, a fact especially apparent on the insides, where the inside fuselage was left in natural metal anywhere past the immediate crew stations."

Yes, this was common on the Halifax, and also the Wellington. The Lanc, however, was Cockpit Green aft of the main spar throughout, and matt black forward of the spar. Those fittings in the bare metal areas of the Halli not pre-painted at the factory, were finished in matt silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back