A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Peter - was that the Argus, or the Argosy? Both the Argosy and Andover once had a 'desert' camouflage scheme in normal service, and, before that, a similar scheme to that worn by the Dove and Pembroke. Got a soft spot for the big old Argosy - from a 'Para's' point of view it was spacious and smooth, with large windows to look out of (if you could twist around with all the kit on!), compared to the cramped, four-row bench seats of the Herc, which was noisy, stuffy and impossible to see out of - until the doors opened and you were off into the void!
Anyway, continuing with some more in Hangar 1, it's time for some of the older types, including a couple of rare birds.
PICS 1 to 4. The Ju52/3m, actually a Spanish-built CASA 352L. This particular aircraft was in service with the Spanish Air force until 1972, and was presented to the Museum and flown to Cosford in 1978. I'm pretty sure that this was once on display in Luftwaffe colours, but in 1986 it was re-painted in the 1937 livery of British Airways Ltd., as G-AFAP, an aircraft on their fleet at that time, the work being sponsored by the current British Airways. The interior is still in its military, paratroop configuration, and there are a few interesting details visible for modellers in these shots, including the trailing aerial reel on the forward crew access door.
PIC 5. Perhaps one of the earliest 'microlight' or 'ultralight' aircraft, the Henri Mignet 'Flying Flea'. A French design from the early 1930s, for the 'home builder', this example was built in a garage in Bath,UK, between 1935 and 1936, and is powered by a twin cylinder AJS motorcycle engine. The type was banned in France in 1936, following a series of fatal accidents due to an aerodynamic fatal flaw, which could result in an uncontrollable, steepening dive. The British Air Ministry issued a similar ban in summer 1937, and this aircraft was then stored in the owner's garage, until being loaned to the Museum by his son, with restoration being completed by the Aerospace Museum Society.
PIC 6. A valuable rare type, being the first design by Sydney Camm, when he joined Hawker's, this is the diminutive Hawker Gygnet of 1924. As most will know, Sydney Camm (later Sir Sidney Camm,CBE, FRAeS), went on to design a long line of classic Hawker fighters, from the Fury and Hurricane and Typhoon, to his contribution to the Hunter and Harrier. From a 'wood and canvas' biplane to the world's first, and only, successful VTOL fighter is some contribution to aviation history!
PIC 7. Comper Swift, a racing type from 1933. This particular aircraft was owned by Alex Henshaw, the famous Spitfire test-pilot, who used it to win several air races, including taking the Siddeley Trophy in the 1933 King's Cup Air Race.
PICS 8 and 9. Just two of the many aviation-related vehicles on display in various areas of the Museum, a David Brown airfield tractor, used for moving heavy aircraft such as the Lancaster, and for towing bomb trolley trains during WW2, the type was in service up to the 1950s. This Land Rover series 1 was used for VIP duties, including the Royal Review of the RAF.
PIC 10. This De Havilland Chipmunk, WP912, was the actual aircraft in which HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, completed his first solo flight, in December 1952. The Chipmunk was the RAFs elementary trainer from 1950, until being replaced by the Provost in 1954, but was re-introduced later, seeing service up until the 1960s, with some soldiering on for use by Air Experience Flights until the early 1980s. A Chipmunk is still retained by the BBMF, for 'tail dragger' familiarisation and other duties.
PICS 11 and 12. Two of the helicopters on display, up on pedestals in the hangar, the Bristol Sycamore, and the Westland Dragonfly.
Thanks again for your interest and compliments, and I'll post another selection tomorrow, including a somewhat 'different' Spitfire.

Attachments

• Cosford 422.jpg
    Cosford 422.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Cosford 415.jpg
    Cosford 415.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Cosford 414.jpg
    Cosford 414.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Cosford 411.jpg
    Cosford 411.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Cosford 417.jpg
    Cosford 417.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Cosford 418.jpg
    Cosford 418.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Cosford 435.jpg
    Cosford 435.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Cosford 367.jpg
    Cosford 367.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 82
  • Cosford 431.jpg
    Cosford 431.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Cosford 425.jpg
    Cosford 425.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Cosford 429.jpg
    Cosford 429.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Cosford 448.jpg
    Cosford 448.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 82
i'm amazed at how many dragonflys have survived considering i don't know of any still flying ,there is at least 2 at the fleet air arm

Again Terry, great shots. I never realized that David Brown was a British company. I use to see them all the time when I was growing up on the farm. And there's one here in town now. Granted they don't look like that one. But I learned something new today.

Yep, David Brown as in Aston Martin - hence the 'DB' in their type numbers, for example, 'DB5' or 'DBS'. There is an American connection though, although I can't remember what it is without looking it up !

Sweet set of shots Terry. Might be going there on thursday next week for the first time !

Thanks chaps. Enjoy the visit Gary - as you can see from the pics, there is a lot to see - haven't even touched the 'side shows'.

And now that 'different' Spitfire, with a couple of other RAF training types displayed in this well-lit hangar.
PICS 1 to 4. The 'James May' Spitfire, which some of you might be familiar with, the programme having been posted on the forum at the time. Whilst not 100% accurate, considering the very short construction and painting time, by school children, it's still pretty convincing as a 1:1 scale model - and complete with a 'James May' pilot figure.
PICS 5 to 7. The lovely little Folland (Hawker Siddeley) Gnat T1 trainer, this example having been part of the famous 'Red Arrows' display team, from 1965 until 1980, when the Team re-equipped with Hawks. The team was originally formed in 1964, as 'The Yellow Jacks', flying the same Gnats, painted yellow overall, and the name, and colours, were changed the following year. The fist Team Leader was the 'Master' himself, Ray Hannah, of Spitfire display fame. How I'd love one of these as a 'run around'!!
PICS 8 and 9. Scottish Aviation 'Bulldog' trainer, derived from the Beagle 'Pup' civil light aircraft, this was a replacement for the Chipmunk, and continued in service with the University Air Squadrons until retired around ten years ago. At the time, I could have bought one, airworthy, and complete with all avionics, for around £1,800, had I got a bid into the MoD in time!
PIC 10. One of numerous displays dotted around the exhibition hangars, this one shows RAF uniform styles through the years.
PICS 11 and 12. Scottish Aviation 'Jetstream', a twin turboprop Navigation trainer, also used for general communications work.
One more main selection to post yet, and then a final selection of some detail shots and ancillary exhibits from those displays already visited.
Thank you all once again for your kind comments, and I hope you continue to enjoy this Pictorial Tour.

Attachments

• Cosford 450.jpg
    Cosford 450.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Cosford 477.jpg
    Cosford 477.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Cosford 466.jpg
    Cosford 466.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Cosford 453.jpg
    Cosford 453.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Cosford 452.jpg
    Cosford 452.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Cosford 454.jpg
    Cosford 454.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Cosford 455.jpg
    Cosford 455.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Cosford 456.jpg
    Cosford 456.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Cosford 462.jpg
    Cosford 462.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Cosford 463.jpg
    Cosford 463.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Cosford 449.jpg
    Cosford 449.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Cosford 465.jpg
    Cosford 465.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Hugh.
These are the final shots covering Hangar 1, although I will post the last group, of miscellaneous exhibits and some detail shots, tomorrow.
PICS 1 and 2. The de Havilland Comet, the World's first jet airliner, which made it's first flight in July 1949. Entering service with BOAC in 1952, establishing the World's first jet service between London and Johannesburg, the early Comet 1s suffered from technical problems which resulted in some fatal accidents. Fatigue failure of the pressure cabin was found to be the cause, with the original 'square' windows proving a weak point. This was solved, and the Comet 4 soon followed, the basic design of which formed the basis for the Nimrod ASW and AEW aircraft.
PIC 3. Just a small part of a vast collection of aero engines, this line-up is part of the display in Hangar 1, with other engines, from the earliest to the latest jet, being displayed throughout the Museum.
PICS 4 and 5. The Sakae engine and cowls from a A6 'Zero', with a close-up of the cowling fasteners, which may be of interest to modellers.
PIC 6. A sectioned Rolls-Royce 'Merlin' engine.
PICS 7 and 8. That rare beast, the Daimler-Benz DB610 'coupled' engine from the He177.
PICS 9 to 11. The final large outdoor exhibit, the 'Whispering Giant', the Bristol Britannia, this being the RAF Transport version of the civil airliner. First (civilian) flight 1952, in RAF service from 1959 until the late 1960s.
PIC 12. The Museum (and Station) 'gate guard', the Hunter FGA9, this example looking rather faded.
The final selection will be posted tomorrow, and will include some of the incidental exhibits, together with a few detail shots of some of the aircraft shown in the previous posts.
Thanks again for your kind words, and I hope you continue to enjoy the remaining pictures.

Attachments

• Cosford 445.jpg
    Cosford 445.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Cosford 446.jpg
    Cosford 446.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Cosford 442.jpg
    Cosford 442.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Cosford 457.jpg
    Cosford 457.jpg