A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

More nice shots Terry. I don't thing I've ever seen one of those "stretched" C-130s before. It seems there's an interesting story we have to drag out of Karl now.

Nice series ! ( did you do the V weopons too?) I saw some glimpses of them in the cold war part of your series.

The 'V weapon' missiles are part of a collection of World War two weaponry, on display in Hangar 1 - those in the 'Cold War' exhibition are post WW2 nuclear missiles and anti-aircraft missiles, including 'Blue Steel', Thor' and similar 'biggies'.
Some of the World War 2 missiles are shown here and, like the rest of the series of pics shown to date, are only part of the overall displays. As previously mentioned, in the five hours we were at the Museum, we couldn't cover everything fully, especially as I had some priority pics to get for myself and forum members who had requested specific detail pics. However, this 'tour' is showing only a relatively small number of the photos taken and, if anyone has anything specific they would like to see, if I have the pics, I'll post them at the end of the 'tour' - just ask, and I'll do my best to accommodate requests.
So, on with the 'tour', still in Hangar 1.
PIC 1. Hunting Percival Jet Provost T1. An early example of the jet trainer, with the tall, ungainly-looking undercarriage, derived from the piston-engined Provost shown earlier. Compare this with the later, Jet Provost T3 shown in the 'Test Flight' exhibition.
PIC 2. Part of the collection of German WW2 missiles, including Rheinbote and Wasserfall.
PIC 3. The 'V2' Type A4 rocket on its transporter erector and, in the foreground, Enzian (Gentian Violet).
PIC 4. Rheintochter - the combustion chamber is the only surviving part of this potent missile.
PIC 5. Fritz-X.
PICS 6 to 8. A.W. Argosy - 'The Whistling Wheelbarrow' or 'Flying T*t'. A four engined (turboprop), twin-boom transport, and another type I've jumped from. This one is in the colours of RAF Training Command, and shows off to advantage the 'Beaver tail' loading ramp at the rear, with a 25 pdr field gun as part of the cargo.
PICS 9 and 10. Auster T7 'Antarctic'. One of two specially prepared for the 1956 Antarctic expedition lead by Dr. Vivian Fuchs, the aircraft could be fitted with wheels, skis or floats. The other example is in New Zealand.
PICS 11 and 12. HS Andover E3A. The Andover was a military version of the civilian HS748 airliner, with a strengthened floor, rear loading ramp and split doors. A unique feature was the main landing gear, which could be compressed, allowing the tail to be lowered for ease of loading cargo or vehicles. Another type I've jumped from, although this particular version was used for airfield instrument and radar calibration.
Once again, thank you for your continued interest and kind comments, and I'll post some more over the weekend.

Attachments

• Cosford 388.jpg
    Cosford 388.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Cosford 376.jpg
    Cosford 376.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Cosford 379.jpg
    Cosford 379.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Cosford 382.jpg
    Cosford 382.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Cosford 386.jpg
    Cosford 386.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Cos Mic 058.jpg
    Cos Mic 058.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Cosford 426.jpg
    Cosford 426.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Cosford 390.jpg
    Cosford 390.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Cosford 407.jpg
    Cosford 407.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Cosford 428.jpg
    Cosford 428.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Cosford 468.jpg
    Cosford 468.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 67
  • Cosford 408.jpg
    Cosford 408.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 65
The Whistling Wheelbarrow, I like that.:) The Auser T7 is a neat little craft to. Not ever seen one before. Course, there's a lot of these you've posted I not ever seen. Nice shots Terry and thank you for taking the time to share them sir. Enjoying this.:thumbleft:

You're welcome Hugh, and thanks Aaron. The Auster 'Antarctic' was a development of the Auster AOP6, the artillery spotter, itself a descendant of the line from British Taylorcraft Auster, later Auster Aircraft. I still remember building the 1/72nd scale Airfix kit of this actual aircraft, when I was around 9 or 10 years old - 50 years ago!!
I believe it has recently been re-issued by Airfix, complete with the choice of landing gear.

Thanks Aaron and Andy. I'll post some more either later tonight, or tomorrow - trying to decide whether to brave the rain and go to the pub, or stay in and do some work on the Harrier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back