A question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blackwatch

Airman 1st Class
Sep 27, 2004
Hi guys, is the movie about 633 Squadron (Mosquito's) based on fact or is it just "Hollywood"? what sites can I go to to find out the historical photos about this amazing plane? I understand most Mossie missions were maritime strike missions, is this true? Thanks for reading this as this is one of my favorite planes

but mossies didn't just fry maritime strike, they flew just about every type of mission possible for a twin engine.........

The Mosquito flew high-risk missions over the German Reich bombing, where it was the fastest piston plane in the European theatre. It was just under the speed the Jets achieved. It wasn't used in the Pacific theatre however, as it was mostly made of wood and canvas, which aren't the most useful attributes for a fighter/bomber in a wet, damp environment like the Pacific with high humidity. They apparently experimented with a couple in the Pacific but gave up after the aircraft fell to bits due to the climate and the accelerated action of the woodworms due to the warm environment.

The Mosquito wasn't used in the Pacific? Do you want to re-check your source for that?

Go tell the USAAF flying PR Mosquitos over the Pacific it wasn't used out there. :rolleyes:

Blackwatch said:
Hi guys, is the movie about 633 Squadron (Mosquito's) based on fact or is it just "Hollywood"? what sites can I go to to find out the historical photos about this amazing plane? I understand most Mossie missions were maritime strike missions, is this true? Thanks for reading this as this is one of my favorite planes

There is a small snippet of truth to be found under all that hollywoodization (is that a word?.....It is now!)

In 633 Squadron (as I remember it) their mission was to knock out a hydroelectric plant. In the Dambusters (true story) they knocked out a dam (really?). Originally mosquito's were tasked to deliver the bouncing bomb, they were even used in the first tests, however due to the mossie's speed and the weight of the bomb it was decided that Lancasters should be used. Also several aircrew where killed in similar training exercises depicted in the film, although I doubt they were training to shoot rocks so that they would fall on stuff! It is a sideways look at reality. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back