A request to our Canadian members

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vassili Zaitzev

Master Sergeant
Nov 25, 2005
Connecticut, United States
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right spot, but the forum does not have a Maritime section. Right now, I'm cramming a lot for my grad classes, have a few assignments to write up in the next two weeks. After that, however, I want to write a letter to the editor of my local paper(or an OP-Ed to the much larger Hartford Courant) about the Empress of Ireland. The centennial of her sinking is coming up at the end of May. I'm wondering if our Canadian members know where I can access newspaper accounts from Canadian sources. I have access to American papers at the time, but the sinking was in Canadian territory; the international newspaper I can access only go back into the 70s. I figured having primary sources where the sinking occurred is better than from another nation, and I have no book truly dedicated to the Empress.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thanks guys! I ended up using a few of the links, bolstered by some book I checked out from my local and university library. I wasn't able to make anything for the Normandy Landings, but given the amount of coverage vs. Empress, I think I'll be alright. My grandfather knows one of the editors of the Courant and he helped me with the Op-Ed. He revised the style a little, but the research and bulk of writing is mine. I'm happy, the Courant is one of the biggest, if not biggest newspapers in the state. Between my internship and job searching, I want to write another piece concerning the Siege of Petersburg in the ACW. CT's being having a 150th commemoration, and I did a lot of research for the 1st CT Heavy Artillery monument at the capitol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back