A study in grace and beauty....there's only one jet worthy the name Lightning....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just tellin' ya' what I heard, since I grew up in Southern California (about 30 miles away from Catalina Island, as the crow flies) and we had alot of wartime history in the southland.

Also, Consolidated had an initial contract from the USN for PBYs long before 1939. In the years following (between 1935 and 1939), they continued to fill orders as the Navy was upgrading their Patrol squadrons (Hawaii, West Coast and so on): 1935; 60 PBY-1, 1936; 50 PBY-2, 1936; 66 PBY-3, 1937; 33 PBY-4.

Later, when the British adopted Consolidated's name the USN made it official as well.

It might also be found interesting that when Consolidated was on the east coast, making seaplanes for the civilian sector, they were naming their aircraft types after Naval ranks: Admiral, Commodore, etc.

Either way young man, I want one, no...two, actually....better make it three....come to think about it....eeerrmmmm....never mind! ;) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back