A Taste of My A6M2.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A pre-built, pre-painted model from 21st Century Toys. You pay $15 bucks and you get a pretty damn accurate 1:32 scale plane. Wal-Mart. Try it. I collect them. Anyway, I like a weathered look, so I decided to have a go at one of my Zeros before I went on to other ones, and then eventually my 1:18 MiG-15bis. In the pics, the wing was slightly out of place, but whatever. My frickin' $400 dollar camera brings that out... :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyway, I did a panel line wash with flat black enamel thinned out, and then grimed it up with the same, but thicker. I then took silver and a frayed brush and dry-brushed the cowling and the leading edges as well as the trailing edges. Then I added some "paint chipping" around the wing junction and cockpit area as well, wear crew members walked and the pilot grabbed a hold of the plane. It's not done, about 1/3, but I'm putting it away for the night so I decided to take pics. As you can see I've done one wing and one side of the fuselage. The belly and the other wing remain. The antenna wire is not stock. That's actually a single strand of speaker wire. :)

Tell me what you think so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 252
Alloy skull, looks wonderful mate :)

You have done a nice job of weathering, my favourite part of modelling to be honest.

Some of this out the box things are getting real accurate.

Thanks. This company has come a long way. These are still models, yet retain the durability, and price point of a toy. They use completely authentic paint schemes, and they kickstarted the 1:18 revolution a decade ago. I own a few of their older molds, such as the Emil, and the P-47, and while still amazing, they can't hold a candle to the newer molds such as the A6M2, A6M3, Stuka, C.202, C.205, Fw-190D-9, Fw-190A, Fw-190F, P-51B/C, Corsair, and the Me-109F and G. A competing company, BBI, just released a 1:32 scale F-4J Phantom in Jolly Rogers livery.

There's rumors abound about a 1:18 B-25. 21st actually released info that it's in the works, but something that amazing will be years beyond. The Avenger in 1:18 took forever, but it is amazing. For 70 bucks online, 50 bucks at Wal-Mart, and when they go on clearance at Wal-Mart for 25 or less, that's when you strike. Check 'em out next time you go shopping. Look for "Ultimate Soldier 32X" or Ultimate Soldier XD" near the cars and stuff. They also have model kits of the exact stuff they produce.

A 1:18 B-25 would scare me. You'd have to have a rather large house and damn good wife to own one. :lol:

Anyway, I decided to stay up late, and weather a Fw-190D-9 in the Blue/Black 12 colors. I'll post pics. I have to go to my college campus to do stuff tomorrow, and call into work to see if I can have Saturday (my 19th birthday) off. :)

Really nice job.I like the die-cast stuff but it somehow seems like cheating after building models for over 40 years.....but I do have a couple.
Ed

Weathering is the best part about modeling. Nice job. I should check out our local Wally World, I just hate participating in human cattle drives.

A pre-built, pre-painted model from 21st Century Toys. You pay $15 bucks and you get a pretty damn accurate 1:32 scale plane. Wal-Mart. Try it. I collect them.

Good job on the weathering. I've thought about it but never tackled it. I have at least one of every 1:32 scale aircraft 21st Century makes, including 3 Bf-109's.

See my pics here
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/off-topic-misc/post-photos-your-place-work-work-space-10278-2.html

In the pics, you cant really even see the Stuke, the Dora, or the Macchi 202. I've started to collect the 1:32 armor now.

Thanks guys, I need to get some new brushes. I did that with kid brushes. I mean melted-end nylon bristles and plastic purple handles...

I've got 6 armor pieces, looking for the beautiful new Marder III and 38t, which on the Marder, the gun recoils, like all of their artillery pieces, but on such a beautiful piece, you can't go wrong! By the way also try Toys R Us. They're another distributor of 21st, as well as Forces Of Valor which makes excellent armor.

About the human cattle drives, I completely agree. I hate going anywhere where I actually have a set "mission" and the rest of the world around has their brain set to "mope."

Thor, a buddy and I are working on a comprehensive checklist for all 1:32 scale items on a forum called groundpounders. It's military scale toys, and until recently it was near impossible to actually get on the forums, due to mass spam, but they got it all set up, so feel free to drop by and join if ya like! We do diorama contests and stuff, we're not a big community, and it takes all night for someone to reply to a post. Unlike here where I can post at 5 am and the good ole boys from down under have a repsonse in minutes. :lol:

It's at Small Scale Military Headquarters :: Index

Hope to see ya there!

Small group?????? There are 5000 registered members. Yeah, I know they don't all post but thats a good size. I'll look over the site better tonight from the house.

DBII, that B-25 is either 2 years off, or not even in the works anymore. We don't know. We haven't had info on it in ages. They may just be keeping it top secret. :D

But yes, I'd love to weather yours, it might take awhile, though!

Lets see what happens. I am up in The Woodlands. The B-25 is the family's pick. Are you a member of the Lone Star Flight Musuem in Galveston or do you hang out at the West Side Airport?

DBII

Neither. But I've been to the LSFM many, many times. :) I live in Spring, near Klein High School, though I graduated last year. So I'm about 30 mins from the Woodlands. :) Hopefully they come through with that B-25!

Over here I've seen the RAAF Mustang and RAAF F/18A Hornet. I'm very tempted :)

Oh I noticed we are the same age, 18 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back