A visit to HMS Belfast

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.
Last few snaps

Attachments

• tower_bridge_at_dusk.._362.jpg
    tower_bridge_at_dusk.._362.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 203
  • laundry_105.jpg
    laundry_105.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 201
  • galley.._172.jpg
    galley.._172.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 201
  • compass_platform_438.jpg
    compass_platform_438.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 203
  • b_turret_trained_825.jpg
    b_turret_trained_825.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 207
Lee, I thank you for posting those amazing pics. Spectacular. :cool:
The only preserved old warships in Canada are the Flower class corvette HMCS Sackville and the Tribal class destroyer HMCS Haida, both from WWII. Haida also saw action during the Korean conflict. Both vessels are well preserved and looked after, but obviously neither comes close to inspiring the awe of an old cruiser or battleship.

Great stuff. Thanks again. :cool:

Trackend those photo's are really something. I also agree that we should have saved HMS Warspite. No battleship in the world had a record like hers. Not many ships can claim to have had a major part in the battle of Jutland in WW1, taken on and beaten the latest Italian battleships in WW2 and finished off with a leading part in the bombardment of the beaches of Normandy. The UK had their maneys worth out of her.

If anyone is visiting the the UK and has an interest in Warshps they should visit Chatham Dockyard. Apart from an historic dockyard they have a WW2 destroyer and an A class submarine which was launched just after WW2 and shares many features of the period.

syscom3 said:
The closing pix almost looks like a post card

I dont know if thats a compliment or not SYS :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys I shall put the other pics I took of Tower Bridge on so you can take your pick if you want to use them for anything.
Although I think the one I first posted was the better picture due to lower light levels .I never minded people using any snaps I have posted .

One is stiched the other I left as two separate frames I took this shot from the Belfasts aft deck by the push pit

I may try to improve on my method of recording my next visit which is to the Imperial war museum tomorrow sort of a photo SA.

I shall try to get to Chatham docks in the next two weeks (Good Idea Glider) and do the same there.
As the crow flys its 6 miles from me unfortunatley I have to head towards London to cross the Thames
which adds 45 miles in rubbish traffic.

Attachments

• tb2_127.jpg
    tb2_127.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 156
  • tb1_112.jpg
    tb1_112.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 153
  • tb_stiched_104.jpg
    tb_stiched_104.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 144
although i would have prefered to have seen the blefast herself somewhere in the shot lit up too, but great stuff trackkie!

the lancaster kicks ass said:
although i would have prefered to have seen the blefast herself somewhere in the shot lit up too, but great stuff trackkie!

I tried that Lanc from the north bank but the LCC building is behind it and completly dominates with all its lighting.
All I need is another 11 shots and Evan can produce another calender called London at night :lol: here's a couple more I took after my IWM visit.

Attachments

• westminster_palace_956.jpg
    westminster_palace_956.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 105
  • the_london_eye_135.jpg
    the_london_eye_135.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 113
  • the_london_eye._189.jpg
    the_london_eye._189.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 124
That ferris wheel sort of looks like a Victorian era contraption.

When are you going to go to the Greenwich obervatory and take some pics of the navigation clocks? I think its called the L1 clock?

It was built in 2000 for the millenium SYS biggest wheel in the world.
You get a great view of London from it .
About 30 mins for one revolution.
As for the L1 clock.
Give a chance SYS I have to go to work as well mate.
If you ever get the chance to see the TV film called Longditude, dont miss it,
fantastic story and brilliant acting all about Harrison building the marine chronometer.
Sounds dull but take my word its F****** superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back