A6M2 Cowling Colour

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,

I know that the cowlings on the early Zeros were a blue/black colour, but what colours would I use? I plan on using Tamiya acrylics for this build. I noticed Wayne's colour mixes in Alberto's Zero thread, so I'll be using those for the base and control surface colours, but unfortunately the cowling mix wasn't there.

Thanks

It is said the colour of the engine cowling depended on the Mitsubishi ( black ) or Nakajima (blue-black) factory. But I think that the colour was one only - the black. The colour was either gloss or semi-gloss. The effect of the black or blue-black was the effect of fading because of the weather conditions at the TO.

If you want you can mix some of the Dark Sea Blue used for late Hellcats or Corsairs with a couple drops of the black colour.

Oops. :oops: I have forgotten - the black colour should be the FS 37040 or so. And you can paint the cowling black and then apply a thin coat of the the Dark Sea Blue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back