AC-47 Spooky Gunship (Puff the Magic Dragon) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry Browning

Recruit
Jun 30, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I'm rather embarassed, I can write code for 5-axis machining centers but I can't code models!
I was hoping there'd be someone out there who'd either show me how to stick a few mini guns out 3 windows of an already made c-47 and then the equvalent of a 40mm bofors cannon or even better a 105 out the back door and the 40 out a 4th window. Actually get more accurate and place the bofors mount coming out the fuselage between the left wing root and the doorway on the left. The guns all fire perpendicular out the left side of the craft by the pilot while he holds a 2-minute pylon turn.
I've got all of the seperate parts, the only thing missing is the know-how!
Do we have any modeling gurus out there who'd like to take on an interesting little project? Let me know!

Hi Terry. If the model is already built, then to do what you want to do is almost as hard as figuring out how a woman's brain works!
OK, maybe it can be done (the model, not the brain thing!), eventually, but it's going to be a lot easier to start from scratch, especially as there are kits available in both 1/72nd and 1/48th scale.
Sorry if this seems negative, but it's the easiest option I can think off.
Cheers, another Terry.

I must agree with Airframes here , I'm afraid. One of Murphy's rules says if you want to correct something, it's better to make it again from its beginning. However a few close-up pictures of areas of the model you want to add these details to, would be welcome. Also a couple shots with the general view of the model can help.

Be aware that there weren't heavy guns in the AC-47.
Features

The AC-47D was equipped with three 7.62mm SUU-11A Gatling Miniguns mounted in the fifth and sixth windows on the port side of the fuselage and in the aft passenger/cargo door area. Approximately 16,500 rounds of ammunition was carried on a typical mission. Note: The SUU-11As were later replaced by specially designed 7.62mm General Electric MXU-470/A Gatling Miniguns.

For night missions, the aircraft carried approximately 48 MK-24 Mod 3 flares. Each flare could last up to three minutes and produce a light magnitude of two million candlepower. The delivery system was extremely simple, the loadmaster armed and dropped each flare out the cargo door when the pilot signaled by flashing a cargo compartment light. Note: Initially, 30 MK-6 flares of 750,000 candlepower were carried before the MK-24 flares were available.

Airspeed during attack maneuvers was normally 120 knots indicated air speed (KIAS). With the Miniguns firing at a rate of 6,000 rounds per minute, aerial coverage was provided over an elliptical area approximately 52 yards in diameter, placing a projectile within every 2.4 yards during a three-second burst.

Douglas AC-47D 'Spooky'

So you may be putting too much firepower in there

If the model is already built, then to do what you want to do is almost as hard as figuring out how a woman's brain works!

I was refering to a model of a C-47 Dakota for Microsoft's Flight Simulator 3,
(CFS3). Like I said I have the gatlings configured as mini guns (close anyway - 7.62mm @ 6000 rounds/min. I played around with some Bofors mounts (underwing) with some success.

I just need to find an MS Flight Sim modeling guru to make a couple mods for a very interesting and historically significan aircraft!

So this is not a proper place for that. This is a modelling section. Sim pilots can discuss a such things in another one. I'm moving the thread.

Moved from the Modelling section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back