Academic Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Waynos

Staff Sergeant
May 18, 2008
I was wondering today when the first recorded use of the phrase 'World War Two' or 'Second World War' occurred?

I know that WW1 was referred to as the Great War, and only became the First World War when we had a second one. Does anyone know of references to a 'Second Great War'?

I'm sure that the war was not referred to as WW2 when Poland was invaded, nor even during the BoB, so when was the first use of this term, anyone?

The movie 'Pearl Harbor's cringeworthy dialogue notwithstanding, would it have been at that time?

This is from wiki Waynos.....

The term "First World War" was used in the book The First World War: A Photographic History, edited by playwright and war veteran Laurence Stallings and published in 1933. The term "World War I" was invented by Time magazine in its issue of June 12, 1939. In that same issue, the term "World War II" was first used speculatively by Time magazine to describe the upcoming war. The first use for the actual war came in its issue of September 11, 1939.

TO

Also found this in the TIME Magazine archives.....

Background For War: The Neutrals

Monday, Aug. 14, 1939

"In World War II, if it comes, some nations may avoid fighting. But they will certainly not go untouched. Just as modern warfare is no respecter of lives, soldier or civilian, so it is no respecter of the pocketbooks of neutrals. To every neutral nation that has risen above the level of primitive handicrafts, a world war is an economic explosion. As a neutral such a nation enjoys the traditional lot of innocent bystander.

World War I proved it. In 1914 many nations refused to stake their political fate in the quarrel between the Triple Entente and the Triple Alliance."

Read more: Background For War: The Neutrals - TIME

TO

Excellent stuff, thank you. I'm surprised to see how early the term occurred as I had thought the European war was thought of as 'a little local difficulty' at that time :)

It started out as the 'Phoney War', and maybe got called WW2 when it was realised that it wasn't Phoney after all?

It was called the Great Patriotic War by the Soviets - if you remove the word 'Patriotic', then you get 'Great War'.:) So sorry, I'll get my coat...:oops:

It started out as the 'Phoney War', and maybe got called WW2 when it was realised that it wasn't Phoney after all?

It was called the Great Patriotic War by the Soviets - if you remove the word 'Patriotic', then you get 'Great War'.:) So sorry, I'll get my coat...:oops:

Schwarz, the "Phoney War' phrase actually refers to the period between - roughly - end of September 1939 to 9 April 1939. About between the end of the invasion of Poland to the beginning of the invasion of Norway. Once Poland was invaded, the two European powers France and Britain had declared war on Germany but outside of some aerial missions (i.e. the RAF attacks in December) and some naval engagements (i.e. Battle of the River Platt), those involved just sat and threw spitwads at each other over the borders until the invasion of Norway. "Phoney War" was the English phrase while "Sitzkreig" was the German phrase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back