Academy 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Can you tell I'm fond of Academy LOL?

I picked this little kit up for a couple dollars at the local store to kill some time. Again, no weathering or wear, but I am looking for some feedback with regard to the color and paint scheme.

This was my first attempt at freehand airbrushing.

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

• F$F-4 Wildcat 1.jpg
    F$F-4 Wildcat 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 530
  • F$F-4 Wildcat 2.jpg
    F$F-4 Wildcat 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 232
I am in Wildcat heaven! I LOVE IT! Your build work is excellent and if you can freehand an airbrush in 1/72 that well you are covered there too. Not to be critical, the only question I have is on the paint/markings. the demarcation lines in the paint and the post 1943 insignia would suggest an atlantic fleet based Wildcat but that ordinarily would be dark gull grey over white. The blue-grey over light sea grey is correct for early war pacific based machines (tail should be blue-grey also) but the stars and bars are not. I'm wondering if my screen is showing the colors wrong. Again, I am not trying to be critical, that is one sweet cat, but you did ask for feedback.

P.S.
What's a local hobby shop? I haven't seen one in years. I have to do all my shopping online. You are very lucky. Keep them in business, they are a dying breed.

Bruce, thank you for the compliment and certainly the feedback.

I struggled a bit trying to find the right color and that's one reason I love this forum; I'm learning a lot.

The top color is MM Navy Blue Gray 2055, I talked to the hobby shop owner and we both thought that is what I should use. The bottom coat is Flat Gull Gray.

I am lucky to have a hobby shop close by and they stock a bunch of these little Academy kits. Sadly, as I buy them it doesn't look like they are restocking rather leaning toward gas powered hobbies.

Nice one, Jon! I liked that little kit, too. Pretty simple, but it looks good built up.

Nice job with the kit and painting. Wildcat's are sooo cool; I never tire looking at them.....

on evilbay there are regulary wildcat kits for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back