Academy 1/72 P-40B/C as flown by Lt George Welsh at peral harbor, december 7th 1941. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
I was going to save this for the aces build, but I'm itching to make something so here it is!

Let's take a look at the insides and see what we have:

p40day11.jpg

Sprue shots:

p40day13.jpg

p40day12.jpg

p40day14.jpg

The decals are after market i bought off a guy in england:
p40day16.jpg

First order of business is to paint the visable interior areas green, as was standard on US aircraft in WWII.

p40day17.jpg

next, the instrament panel is painted green with black gauges
p40day18.jpg

Finally Lt Welsh is painted
p40day19.jpg

More next time...

Today's update;

The cockpit is assembled and the pilot added
day2.jpg

The prop is prepainted and assembled
day21.jpg

Next the holes for the drop tank are filled, won't be using that for this project.
day22.jpg

day23.jpg

While that dries the furselage is joined and checked for gaps, none noticed
day24.jpg

The wings are assembled and attached to the fuselage, a jig of tape is used to get the correct angle on them.
day25.jpg

More next time.

Looks good Chris. I really liked putting this kit together, it's a fun build, even though it's not very accurate. I did it OOB as Tex Hill's aircraft.

Cheers

Andrew

I can't wait for the new Airfix kit of this, its a neglected subject in this scale.

Thanks guys, and no, no matter how much you kid me i will not stop using menus as placemats!

Today's update;

The front air scoop hole is cut out, and the plane is preped for painting.
day3.jpg

The lower half is painted standard navy gray which is a good color for US army aircraft.
day31.jpg

The upper half is done in tamiya US army olive drab, and when dry the plan is sprayed with gloss cote for decaling and set aside to dry.
day32.jpg

Looking good! I admire you for your work on this model. I had the same kit and gave up on it and ordered the Trumpeter kit. You're doing a good job with a not so great kit.

Looking great so far! You should, however, stop using menus as your photo backdrop. It's making me hungry for chinese food. But then again, since you are doing a AVG plane, what the hell, go for it.

Never going to stop using menus, I need the white so i don't lose small pieces which I used to on the normal counter top.

Today's update;

Now that she is all glossed up and dried, the decals are applied.
day4.jpg

day41.jpg

These are then sprayed again with more gloss cote and allowed to dry over night.

next vallejo matt finish is brushed on teh plane, and the first black wash is made to start bringing out details as well as making exhaust and gun trails.
day43.jpg

day42.jpg

While that was drying teh canopy was painted first with green enamal (since i know from experience that acrylics don't apply well to clear) and the canopy and side panels are attached using elmer's white glue.
day44.jpg

day45.jpg

Over the next few hours I added concentric washes to give a layered look to the black highlighting, one about every 20 minutes or so, allowing the arcyllic black to dry and then doing it again, wiping away excess that didn't look right.

The project at this point is complete, only the finished photos are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back