Accurate Miniatures 1/48 TBM-3 Avenger

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

waterman

Airman
Dec 18, 2012
Quit the hobby in the 70s and started up again in 2009. In appreciation for the help I have received here, I'd like to share my first WWII build. Hoping all my builds will improve with your help.

233.jpg
235.jpg
287.jpg
276.jpg

Thanks! I got lucky on this. I liked the weathering on a Dauntless and tried to mimic the salt weathering. I did it incorrectly and the result was a total mess. Stripped the paint down to the original Future coat, masked the decals and re-sprayed the base colors again. Turned out better than I expected. I guess one of my short term goals is to finish a model without any painting disasters. Haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks guys! Haven't touched the kit on my build table at all today. Spent quite a bit of the day (and night) scoping out everyone's builds. So much talent and inspiration here. Think I have more fun looking than building.

What's to improve? Getting the tri-colour scheme looking that authentic - Great job. Like the work you've done folding the rear canopy and adding a little more to what's already an excellent basic kitset.

What's to improve? Getting the tri-colour scheme looking that authentic - Great job. Like the work you've done folding the rear canopy and adding a little more to what's already an excellent basic kitset.

Thanks, I'm really flattered by your authenticity comment (Capt. Vick's too). I searched the internet for colored wartime photos, but there doesn't seem to be much out there. The best ones led me to this website and I can't say my Avenger looks anything like those photos. If I had the level of detail, skill and knowledge that I've seen here, maybe I could pull it off. Most of the "authenticity" effect you're seeing is due to flat coats and lighting to bring out the subtle differences in the finish.

I guess mistakes do pay. Folding the rear canopy was due to an accident. I originally intended to open just the pilot's section and didn't realize the kit already provided separate side windows for that option. I mistook the forward section of the center canopy, as the side windows for the pilot. I cut the section off, but then realized the side windows were sitting inside the box. I basically folded canopy to hide my mistake.

Hi, excellent! Just started modelling again(30 odd years) if I can get anything like this ,will be well chuffed!

Hi, excellent! Just started modelling again(30 odd years) if I can get anything like this ,will be well chuffed!

Thanks for the kind words. It seems to be a trend; I notice lots of guys following the same foot steps (getting back into the hobby after a long break). Never thought I'd get sucked back into it so deeply. I only planned on building one kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back