Ace Status in the USAAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

airminded88

Airman 1st Class
Mar 11, 2013
Texas, United States
Good afternoon gents,
I was wondering if at some point during WWII did the USSAF hand any type of award or recognition to fighter pilots who achieved the coveted ace status.
Thank you in advance!

Cheers

Not sure about award for becoming an ace, but George E. Laven, Jr. Was a 1st Lt in June or August 1942. He got one kill in Sept. '42 and became a Captain, and by November 1942 (another kill), he became a Major. Two more kills in 1943, and a last one in 1945. By 1947, he was a Lt. Col.

Seems that promotions came with kills, at least early on!

Ed

Not sure about award for becoming an ace, but George E. Laven, Jr. Was a 1st Lt in June or August 1942. He got one kill in Sept. '42 and became a Captain, and by November 1942 (another kill), he became a Major. Two more kills in 1943, and a last one in 1945. By 1947, he was a Lt. Col.

Seems that promotions came with kills, at least early on!

Ed
I'm late to this thread--with several others.

Anyway: I enjoyed getting to know George Laven when I was secretary of the aces assn. But the review committee found that he shot down 4 Japanese aircraft and shared a flying boat on the water.

Frequently "ace in a day" earned a service cross but not always. And the navy-marines did not seem to attach much significance to a career record of 5 victories as much as the AAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back