Acrylic paint and clear coat hates me.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Can someone please tell me what the average paint/clear coat to thinner ratio is for Tamiya and Vallejo acrylic paints? I have just no luck airbrushing this stuff. Also I have heard some people use water to thin instead of acrylic thinner. Please help.

What is the problem exactly?

All clear varnishes can be thinned with the same ratio like paints can. However the problme may happen because of the drying time. I think you need to add some of a retarder for them (However Vallejo Air series of paints for airbrushing include the retarder ). Also it might be caused by a thinner you use. The diluting with water can be used when it is clearly stated that these acrylic colours/clear dopes can be thinned with water. Personally I would avoid the way and use an clear alcohol. It can be some of a vodka. I checked it years ago and it worked very well. These days I use the WAMOD thinners both for enamels and acrylic paints.

The Wamod thinner for enamels of a couple of manufacturers...

wamod-rozcienczalnik-do-farb-modelarskich-180-ml.jpg

The Wamod remover for acrylic colours... a good one for thinning of the Surfacer acrylic putty. It is very useful for cleaning of an airbrush too.

3cc5bce18c26476b3531c0ecee6e63ba.jpg

Last edited:
I actually may have some retarder Ill have to check. Like another posted said in a different thread it looks motted. I used the testors acrylic thinner.

As far as alcohol would rubbing alcohol work?

Motted...???? With white chunks? What air pressure do you use for airbrusing? Air pressure should be approximately 18-20 PSI.

By the way what airbrush do you use? What is the diameter of the nozzle?

If it's beading it sounds like it's way too thin and you are trying to apply too much at once perhaps. When applying, if you SEE color it's heavy enough. Spraying in thin layers is more better than heavy coats. Goes for enamels as well as acrylics.

The paint stroke should be a sweep across the subject. Maybe 6" off. My pitiful compressor only gets 15 psi and is adequate.

I use Tamiya paint and Tamiya thinner when airbrushing. I use industrial isopropyl alcohol for cleanup only. I have a VS Paasche and use the 1 nozzle and needle. When I break the A/B down for cleaning I leave the nozzle parts in a cleaned out paint bottle full of iso alcohol until I use it again. Keeps them itsy bitsy holes clear.

Just food for thought.

I think you are right Bill. What is more the surface of model can be cleaned in a wrong way. But the finall effect we can read about above may be cuased by a few factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back