Advice on metal finish/paint

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PCScipio42

Airman 1st Class
May 9, 2012
Baltimore
I am looking for some advice on what paint to use on a P-51D Mustang (revell) in which I will be starting over the weekend. I need to know if to use standard gray primer and then to use aluminum or steel over it. I do have an airbrush and am still learning the nuances of that tool. Here's a pic of the plane i will be trying to model:

Attachments

• painting_P-51_Roscoe_Brown.jpg
    painting_P-51_Roscoe_Brown.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,565
It depends on the kind of a metal paint you are going to use. If it is the standard aluminium or steel enamels you can use the grey primer. But if you are planning to use these metalizers ( metal coat of Humbrol for instance ) you need to apply a black gloss primer. It can be the oily glossy black enamel of Humbrol e.g.

You'r welcome. One tip though.... if you want to keep the aluminim coat looking like being polished, don't apply on surfaces a matt or gloss clear oily coat of Tamiya e.g. It can cause that the enamel might start looking like matt alluminium covering. It is because thinners for oily enamels can react with the metal aluminium small parts making them looking grey. To prevent against a such effect I would suggest applying of a semi-gloss or gloss acrylic clear coat over the enamel. Also it should be remembered that oily enamels can't be mixed with acrylic water paints. You can apply an acrylic water colour on surfaces painted (primered) with an oily enamel but never inversely. A thinner used for enamels damages the acrylic coat usually.

Of course the final finish of the model should be done with acrylic water paints.

Your model can be painted it the way... firstly a grey primer , then the red at areas it should be , also the anti-glare strip in front of the cockpit and yellow areas on wings where these yellow bands have to be. The second step is to mask with a masking tape these red, yellow and black ( olive drab ) areas in order to get their correct shapes. When done you can apply the aluminium enamel overall. Then you can remove the masking tape. All colours can be enamels then.
And secondly applying of a clear gloss acrylic coat for making surfaces enough smooth for sticking decal markings. Finally applying a finish acrylic coat on the model overall.

Yep... it would, but I would suggest applying it as the base for decal markings rather. Of course you can use it as the final coat as well. Anyway models with it applied overall look more shiny because it is a glossy varnish.

Keep in mind that the Mustang's wings were not a natural metal finish but were prime painted then covered with an aluminum paint.

Ok, this is either the dumbest question ever or question of the year......The paint (I believe it was actually varnish tinted with aluminum paste) on the wings, did it have a gloss or was it more of a matte finish??????

Also as a general rule, were the other colors added to the aircraft gloss??? (ie. squadron markings and codes, stripes, tail numbers and nose art)

And were the olive drab glare shields gloss or matte???

What is the general thought on the NMF surfaces on these planes in theater, were they usually kept polished or just a clean "mill" finish.

OK, thats probably my quota for questions for the year, and I have only been signed up for 4 days.....LOL

All good questions, not dumb at all. I'm no expert so will not try to mislead you with stuff I only half know. I will suggest you look here PORTADAS: Portada comentada ( Fotos,Planos,Perfiles,Maquetas+videos) North American P-51 Mustang for an excellent selection of colour pics that will help you form your own opinion/judgement. My belief is that there is no right or wrong. New or well maintained aircraft tended to be shinier. Others that were put through the paces became dirty, sun-baked, and dusty, all factors that dulled the shiny surfaces.

WHAT AN AMAZING LINK!!!!!!

Thanks sooo very much, and there is even a color photo of "Jan", my next build....awesome.....now if I can figure out if its engine cowlings are black or OD....DOH!!!

:D:D:D:D:D For those that have never seen this....web find, applicable to RAF, but I believe the majority could be applied to USAAF P-51s as well...

Mustang_Ducimus01.jpg

Mustang_Ducimus02.jpg

And at last, in writing, it shows what I keep saying about the colour of the wheel bays, gear doors etc!

I have some basic colors for metal for alunimio, white aluminum, polished aluminum, duralumin, brushed aluminum, I believe the aeronautical aluminum is of a different color and more to the wear and dirt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back