Aerial Bombing Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

People who invent things have to invent words or names for their inventions, then the French have to invent another word to prevent the Anglicisation of their language.

France, Germany, and a number of other countries have quangos that control their languages, sort of like the U.S. has the Fed to control it's money supply.

As a speaker of French as a second language I would just like to point out that in the case of France the Academie Francaise does not control the language. It does publish the 'official' dictionary of the French language, but as far as usage goes it has no legal powers and acts in a purely advisory capacity. People, including French people, often tell me that in, for example, official publications, unauthorised words cannot be used, but this is not the case.

The British have the Oxford dictionary to refer to, but it has recently resorted to adding 'here today, gone tomorrow' words (often associated with technology or 'yoof' culture) that don't do much to enhance its reputation.

Just saying.

Steve

As a speaker of French as a second language I would just like to point out that in the case of France the Academie Francaise does not control the language. It does publish the 'official' dictionary of the French language, but as far as usage goes it has no legal powers and acts in a purely advisory capacity. People, including French people, often tell me that in, for example, official publications, unauthorised words cannot be used, but this is not the case.
I speak French and worked in France for years, you are correct, but there is a certain nationalism about the language. They complain about "English" words like "le parking" (a car park) and "le washing" (a laundomat/self service washing centre) however they are surprised to hear that in English they are a car park and laundrette, the French have merely chosen a new word that happens to be "English" and then complain about the English invading their language. The most bizarre experience I had was concerning metal testing. The industry standard test of impact strength is the "Charpy" test, invented by a French metallurgist. However it was the Americans and British that made this test universal, in WW2 it was introduced to get over the problems with the Liberty ships. The French see Charpy as an American test and an English word. In French it is "essai de resilience" while in English it is "Charpy test". For Germans it is kerbschlagbeigeversuch which makes perfect sense if you speak German, literally "prism-hit-bend-test" a short description of what is done. A similar test on a larger sample is called a "Battelle Drop weight tear test", while Battelle is also a French name the test is named after the Battelle memorial institute, which is still a big organisation in USA.

The British have the Oxford dictionary to refer to, but it has recently resorted to adding 'here today, gone tomorrow' words (often associated with technology or 'yoof' culture) that don't do much to enhance its reputation.
This has always been the case, words come and go. Much of military English language was formed by the British Commonwealth and USA forces being in France words like sortie and "toodleoo" (from a tout a l'heure) were youth culture in ww1.

I believe there were more problems with bombs when the weight of the bombs was used to open the spring loaded bomb doors.

Last edited:
The 1066 Norman invasion did much to set a French tone to what had become Anglaise, by then. To my mind language must be used ... in everyday life .... to remain healthy and vital. Trying to shape the evolution of a language, by decree or otherwise, is folly, to my mind. :)
English has become the language it has because the everyday users of the language had/have confidence in their surroundings and the freedom to use their language freely.

A small but vibrant culture, Estonia, one million domestic speakers GOT, has participated in major changes of vocabulary usage with the exodus of the Soviet Russians and their various customs and institutions. Meanwhile, Estonians in Canada, USA, Australia and elsewhere kept a parallel branch of the language alive ... but in exile.

Last edited:
I agree language is and must be a living breathing thing (Latin anyone?) to survive. However some innovations and usages are less than optimal. I recall the "Valley Speak" period in the late 80's and have to admit to being sorely tempted to commit homicide several times.

I agree language is and must be a living breathing thing (Latin anyone?) to survive. However some innovations and usages are less than optimal. I recall the "Valley Speak" period in the late 80's and have to admit to being sorely tempted to commit homicide several times.

Our version involves the 'yoof' putting 'like' or 'innit' at the beginning or end of every sentence ;)

Some words can make a comeback. 'Hipster' is now used to describe someone who most definitely did not exist in the jazz age :)

Cheers

Steve

".... I recall the "Valley Speak" period in the late 80's and have to admit to being sorely tempted to commit homicide several times."
Cockney rhyming slang, anyone ..? :)
"Apples and pears"
"Bristol cities"

"....
Cockney rhyming slang, anyone ..? :)
"Apples and pears"
"Bristol cities"

But the trick is not to actually say the rhyming part, as in 'I'll have a quick butcher's at that puncture for you."

You have to know that having a 'butcher's' is having a "butcher's hook', that is, a look at the puncture.

'Bristols' is another case in point.... "Nice pair of Bristols on that!"

Cheers

Steve

My wife's father was born and raised within the sound of the Beau Bells, and when he tied one on I could never understand a word he said. Well I could understand the words but not the combinations!
I hope no Cockneys read this! they are the Bow bells, from St Mary le Bow

St Mary-le-Bow - Wikipedia

destroyed in the blitz and rebuilt.

Spring loaded doors featured on a few British designs of the early 1930s I seem to remember (I'm thinking of something like the Wellesley for some reason). Larger and later bombers had powered bomb bay doors. Someone might know if the spring loaded system was retained in other bomb cells?
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back