Aerobatics in a Ford Trimotor (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
I've posted a few aerobatic routines. Here's an unusual one:

There is a "Part 2" that follows the first one. Didn't know the old Trimotor was quite so sprightly, myself, but it appears that it was able to be thrown about at will ... at least empty and at low speeds.

Last edited:
I've flown in the EAA's Trimotor and several things stand out about it.

First of all, it's remarkably quiet. Even for having three rounds.

It also has great TO & landing qualities. It takes very little real estate to get up, even with a full load of passengers.

The other noticible thing, is how smooth of a ride it has, even when we hit some turbulence.

We once had a Stout Bushmaster 2000 visit at Chino. Actually more than once. The Bushmaster is basically a "new build" Trimotor.

I didn't get a ride, but watched it carefully and you are spot on, it LEAPS off the ground in a very short run.

I'm almost laughing at the thought of a Ford Trimotor in the form of a Bushmaster with a glass panel and ADSB. Truly a mashup of modern and ancient in the same aircraft. If they had a GPS in the old Trimotor, we wouldn't have to wonder if Admiral Byrd ever really flew over the North Pole, would we?

Did you know that the EAA's Trimotor was a barnstormer for a while?

Between 1949 and 1973, it was used mainly as a Barnstormer (and did a brief tour as a crop duster and smoke jumper transport)

The Trimotor featured in that video is a 4AT-B (the 53rd built), the EAA's Trimotor is a 4AT-E (the 69th built)

Didn't know that, Graugeist. Thanks!

Personally, I was most amazed at the snap-roll (looked like one to me, anyway) rather than anything else. But it seemed to have been well-behaved even in that maneuver. To me, the vertical tail always seemed a but small, but I see it was just the right size ...

Another great plane if ever there was one. If I ever get another chance to ride in one, I'll take it.

Didn't know that, Graugeist. Thanks!

Personally, I was most amazed at the snap-roll (looked like one to me, anyway) rather than anything else. But it seemed to have been well-behaved even in that maneuver. To me, the vertical tail always seemed a but small, but I see it was just the right size ...

Another great plane if ever there was one. If I ever get another chance to ride in one, I'll take it.
Well, you missed out, because last year, the Trimotor made the west-coast route and was near Chino at one of it's SoCal stops.

It'll be back, I'm sure - the EAA actually has two of them: 4AT-E and a 5AT-B.

Might not hurt to keep an eye on their tour schedule page: Ford Tri-Motor Tour Stops | EAA

I saw it there in the pattern, but was going flying at the time in another aircraft. When we got down, rides were over.

If you are an enthusiast, it's tough to mistake a Trimotor for anything else. Certainly sounded good climbing out. Three radials make a distinctive sound.

I saw it there in the pattern, but was going flying at the time in another aircraft. When we got down, rides were over.

If you are an enthusiast, it's tough to mistake a Trimotor for anything else. Certainly sounded good climbing out. Three radials make a distinctive sound.
If you want, have a look at my Trimotor thread from last year's visit here at RDD

I got some great shots (inside and out)

EAA Ford Trimotor visits Redding Airport (RDD)

We once had a Stout Bushmaster 2000 visit at Chino. Actually more than once. The Bushmaster is basically a "new build" Trimotor.

I didn't get a ride, but watched it carefully and you are spot on, it LEAPS off the ground in a very short run.

I'm almost laughing at the thought of a Ford Trimotor in the form of a Bushmaster with a glass panel and ADSB. Truly a mashup of modern and ancient in the same aircraft. If they had a GPS in the old Trimotor, we wouldn't have to wonder if Admiral Byrd ever really flew over the North Pole, would we?
Byrd used a Fokker tri-motor on the artic expedition. It was named Josephine Ford after Edsel Ford's daughter. Byrd used a Ford tri-motor on his Antartic expedition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back