Aerodynamically speaking F4U, Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Corsair, I believe, was not to be intentionally spun.

How many fighter airplanes was allowed to intentionally spun ?

From a NASA report:
Rudder.gif

How many fighter airplanes was allowed to intentionally spun ?

From a NASA report:
Rudder.gif

None.

As to spin recovery - with the technology of the 40's any thought to rudder design focus for spin recovery was limited.

Spin recovery procedures throughly documented in flight test but I am not aware of any US fighter whose rudder was redesigned to 'fix' spin. Certainly not the P-39, P-51 or F4U or even F7F.

The F7F had particularly nasty spin recovery issues and the designe approach was targeted toward dive brake underwing as an example rather than VS,

The F7F had particularly nasty spin recovery issues and the designe approach was targeted toward dive brake underwing as an example rather than VS,

Huh, I would have thought that asymetic thrust would provide some aid in stopping a spin. Of course, I have no multiengine spin experience since we tried not to spin the C-141:shock: !

I believe I read the same thing in one of Corky Meyer's articles. The spin recovery was not good at all in the Tigercat. I would guess all that inertia out on the wings, 2,800 cubic inches of inertia on each side!!

Huh, I would have thought that asymetic thrust would provide some aid in stopping a spin. Of course, I have no multiengine spin experience since we tried not to spin the C-141:shock: !

Dave - The flight test reports on the stall characteristics of the F7F were 'interesting' and 'unkind'.. I'll have to go look but there was a certain threshold count at which time the pilot was advised to part company with the a/c that was speeding to the crash scene.

P-51 pilots described that the vertical elevator was very difficult to move in high speeds and required both hands.

P-51 pilots described that the vertical elevator was very difficult to move in high speeds and required both hands.

It was stiff > 400mph but stick forces requiring both hands implies >.8M dive..and a good thing it was 'stiff' at those speeds - otherwise visualize a cloud of debris all about your head and shoulders as the airplane falls apart with 'light elevator/stick loads' at very high "Q" loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back