After the thread "watch who you fly with" This is how the Pros do it (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
(CNN) -- A day after a Southwest Airlines jet with 124 passengers landed at the wrong airport, many are asking: How in the world could that happen?
"It's not common, but it's not unheard of," said pilot Mark Weiss, a 20-year veteran of commercial aviation who has frequently flown Boeing 737-700s, the same kind of aircraft that touched down Sunday at a small airport in Taney County, Missouri, about seven miles from where it was supposed to land at Branson Airport.
The plane stopped about 500 feet from the end of a runway at M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport, but no one was injured, said Chris Berndt, the Western Taney County Fire District fire chief and emergency management director.
"There are a lot of questions, and I suspect this is a matter of procedures not being followed, something along the long chain of everything you must do and constantly do as a pilot for safety," Weiss said.
But that's little consolation for passengers shaken by the experience.
"Really happy (the) pilot applied brakes the way he did," said passenger Scott Schieffer. "Who knows what would have happened?"
The airport's runway is 3,738 feet long, about half the length of the Branson Airport runway, which is 7,140 feet. That forced pilots to act fast and brake hard when the aircraft touched down.
If they had not, the plane could have overshot the end of the runway, tumbled down an embankment and onto U.S. Highway 65.
Air traffic controllers had cleared the jet to land at Branson and only learned of the mishap when the pilots radioed that they had landed at the wrong airport, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN. Branson is not equipped with radar, and Clark has no control tower.
Southwest said the flight's captain had worked for the airline for 14 years and the first officer had been with the company for 12. Both were on paid leave pending an investigation, it said
When the plane was still on the ground at Midway, the pilots would have looked at a paper flight plan on which the distance between their departing location and arriving location would have been written. That distance should have also been plugged into the cockpit computer.
"You match one thing to the other," he said. "Let's say there was 503 miles on the paper. The computer in the console should have matched that distance."
That's important if the pilots end up doing what is called an instrument landing -- essentially where they rely on their instruments to assure everything is as it should be. If the equipment was correct on the ground at Midway, the instrument reading during an instrument landing would have indicated to the pilots they were descending to the wrong location.

I think that was a C-17. I wonder how many trips the little fuel truck had to make. :lol:

You have to admit, that was pretty impressive for such a large aircraft to land on such a small runway.

Last edited:
Not really accident, but some good footage of a hair-raising take off from Canberra airport

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZGXwbPfwQs

Additional Info From Michelle Robertson:

"The video was taken from the control tower at Canberra Airport (in Australia) -- which from memory is 1888 feet MSL. Interestingly, they have now extended the end of the runway that the plane is taking off towards by another 400 meters I believe. To allow even take-offs with a 5 hour fuel load on a 100 degree day!"
Read more at LiveLeak.com - Russian IL-76 attempts to crash during takeoff

when i lived in oklahoma and was getting my pilots license i was warned by the instructor to be very careful not to land ar the wrong airport. we would shoot landings and take offs when it wasnt busy at will rogers ap....the oklahoma city commercial ap. well a few miles up the road was tinker afb and i was told it wasnt uncommon for both private and commercial pilots to plop down there by mistake. the af had no sense of humor when it came to planes droping by for a visit.

Bobby, I can well understand small private planes doing all kinds of whoopsies but we're talking about a Big commercial passenger jet, a 737 with every navigational bell and whistle you can cram in there PLUS there were THREE people in the cockpit and NO ONE noticed they were 7 miles off target and the runway was less than 1/2 the size. These are PROS that hundreds of people put their lives in his hands every day!!!
Gives me a REAL warm feeling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back