Airborne Oddities of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How do you know he aint talking about the I-15 or I-152, which were also biplanes. I would post pictured but evertime i try i get knocked off line

How about this? It is Bf-109 Z anf I don't think that it ever flew.

Attachments

• bf-109_z.jpg
    bf-109_z.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 906
cheddar cheese said:
How about this, the Flying Pancake.

vot-xf5u.jpg

vot-xf5u1.jpg

I actually think the F5U was a good concept. However, they should have made it into a bomber instead of a fighter. The proto fighter version was capable of 430 mph speed using two 1350hp P&W R-2000-7 engines, with the fixed landing gear shown above. Further testing revealed a top speed of 504 mph.

I have my doubts about this design as a fighter, I just don't see how it could roll sufficiently well to dogfight, though it might have made a good bomber interceptor. It could carry 2000 lbs of bombs in the fighter configuration. Scaled up and given either 2 or 4 P&W R2800 engines, it would have made a very fast bomber with a significant payload. And it could take off from very short runways!

=S=

Lunatic

rebel8303 said:
Is there a turbine between the two fans? It looks like so.

No, those are P&W radials, but no prop. There's a driveshaft that goes to the outside and drives the props at the outer edges. This design provides about 20% better cooling flow over the radial than having the prop directly mounted on the crankshaft.

=S=

Lunatic

Guys, it's the Flying Flapjack, not pancake, and it never did fly, it was broken up after preliminary taxi trials. Just another might-have-been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back