Airborne Oddities of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

None were built, but this thing is still odd:

Attachments

• 1_412.jpg
    1_412.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 941
None were built, but this thing is still odd:

actually they were, i have a picture of one in flight in a book................

Ooooooo lanc, do you have any pics of that "invisible plane" the Germans were designing?

sorry CC, my only pic's in one of my books.................

and that may sound strange to some of you, an "invisible" plane, but it's true...........

it was a Luftwaffe development during WWI, the entire rear half of the plane, from aft of the wings to the tail section were covered in cellon, a transparent material, the idea being it would appear invisible, i doubt it would have worked, the front half including the bi-plane wings were still visible :lol: it never entered service.............

Linke Hoffman R1.

Crew: 6
Gross weight: 19,845lbs
Span: 105ft
Length: 51ft
Powerplant: 4x260hp Mercedes engines internally mounted supplying power to two propellers
Armament: 5x7.92mm machine guns
Payload: up to 2,000lb
Speed: 87mph
Ceiling: 12,200ft
Endurance: 4hrs

sorry i don't have any pics but it's damned ugly, bloody tall as well, it doesn't give a height though....................

actually they were, i have a picture of one in flight in a book................

Well, according to one of mine, the project was abandoned and was never built:

Attachments

• kt.jpg
    kt.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 914
i didn't mean it'd entered service...................

I know. I was just saying that a full size one was never made, which i just found out was wrong when I searched around for info on it before.

Have a look at these P-38 developments I just found.

I like the floatplane :D

Attachments

• skis.jpeg
    skis.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 856
  • p38flt.jpeg
    p38flt.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 838
Greatness cannot be quantified with statistics. Look at the land rover - on paper its dreadful. And yes, Concorde was damn great, but the P-38 looks better and has Internal combustion engines :D

What about the Polikarpov I-16? I think that was a biplane and the fastest one ever. Flown by the Soviets, against the German Luftwaffe, the Germans were forbidden to engage this plane in combat as too many pilots were lost to this fighter. Anyone got any photos of it please? Not quite a weird plane but still worth a mention as a speed freak for the image of a biplane.

the I-16 was a monoplane, the chances are you're fering to the I-153, and i beleive the Italain Fait Cr.42 Falco was the fastest combat Bi-plane, also i've heard of german pilots being told to keep away from I-16s in the spainish sivil war, but not I-153s..................

Attachments

• i-153.jpg
    i-153.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 774
  • i16.jpg
    i16.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 784

Users who are viewing this thread

Back