Airbrush Advice Requested

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

History Man

Airman
Jul 1, 2014
West Coast
I dug out an airbrush that I purchased a few years ago and put away because of the lack of a compressor. As it happens, I found it while digging for items to send to Goodwill....glad I found it before it went off! It is a Paasche model H....so I am back on the hunt for a compressor (unless there is a way to connect it to propellant).

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations for a good compressor that isn't a ton of money? Not looking for overkill either, just something simple that can give some good results.

Any help appreciated.

Philip

Going on my 4th year with this Testors compressor. Whatever you get make sure it has a pressure gauge and a filter/separator (compressing air can squeeze water out of it and you don't want sucked in crud pushed into your airbrush

Attachments

• DCP_1435.JPG
    DCP_1435.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
If you have a Hobby Lobby, they carry Iwata compressors and airbrushes. Each Sunday paper has a 40% off coupon in it. The compressor I bought is a tankless. It $214.00. With the coupon it will be about $135.00. They also sell inline moisture filters to, and Pasche gun parts.

I have an Artlogic AC1418 Super Quiet Mini Air compressor with tank that has served me well for a number of years now, but as already said, get one with an airtank, gauge and filter. With the airtank you will get a constant flow of pressure rather than the splutter, splutter, splutter of a direct compressor air flow and the filter will take out the moisture.

250140713 a.jpg

Advice.............

Number one would be a compressor, no matter the size, that HAS A TANK!
No tank, you get the pfit pfit of the diaphram in the pump.
The tank accumulates the compressed air and acts as a buffer to the diaphram or the piston introducing the air.

Two, a pressure regulator. The knob that increases or decreases the pressure.

Three, the compressor should deliver at LEAST 12-15 lbs pressure......... CONSTANT. Some will deliver that pressure for about 10 seconds.
Does not matter hoe Big the motor, or the tank. Even if you find a 2-1/2 HP cheap in a garage sale, if you have the room, grab the bugger!! You are only limited by your budget, and the room to store.

Just sayin.

I this I took the boiler remains of pipes 3 inches and two welded caps, threads are or are machined in the tube itself, the engine is R134A 1/8 hp is something short of flow, but the boiler with more than 8 liters works great to 116.psi

mi+compresor.jpg

Thank you for the helpful information, I now have a better hold on what to look out for. The one Vic has shown may be something I can work with due to space, storage constraints.

Philip

Out of curiosity....does anyone have any experience or opinions on this one? Was browsing the local Hobby People picking up some material for current builds and when I looked up, I saw this.

Figured I would get some opinions on this one too.

Philip

Fullscreen capture 7222014 52305 PM-001.jpg

Can't read the size or spec in the photo, but it looks like a type marketed under a number of different labels, which should be OK. Depends on price of course ........

Found this online:

These economical, oil-less, one-phase 60Hz piston compressors have a 1/8 HP motor, and are suitable for all airbrushes spraying properly thinned fluids. Both deliver 0.4 CFM at 20 PSI. CSA approved and UL listed.

D500 Compressor — The D500 is capable of delivering 20–40 PSI operating pressure depending on the airbrush used, and delivers 0.4 CFM at 20 PSI. It operates on 110–120V and features a grounded three-wire cord. CSA approved and UL listed. Weighs 8 lb (3.6 kg).

Hmm. A bit restricted on the pressure range - the top end is OK, but it's often good to be able to spray at lower pressure, for example, around 15 psi. This one seems more suited to larger-scale work I think.

Okay, will keep checking around then. Just figured I would post since it was closer and didn't require shipping....may also check with another local hobby store down in the valley.

My main reason for wanting to pursue the compressor is because I have grown tired of using my little badger with propellant can. I would like to go for more intricate airbrush work along with shading. This one has no control over pressure, tends to splatter, and backs up like that is its job.

Philip

A bit late on this but my $0.02. I agree with Terry the pressure range seems narrow and I see no controls, filters or gauges. Tell the store you are not sure ans ask if the pump is returnable. If so buy and try

can buy a gauge with moisture filter in a DIY store is not very expensive

comp5.jpg

I would recommend that if you do I return it and find another more flow, you find another like this:

ak2_01.jpg

this type of compressor gives you 23 liters / min, is the minimum that has to give you, but you will not have low flow fluctuations problems.

but more is to make an engine with a refrigerator or freezer give the best result of all single engine and 1/8 and you have compressor life with normal maintenance every 3 years within oil change.

The circuit itself is very simple, the more complicated this way you get a comment on the boiler and the installation as they are the team to stay with the pressure, this would be the scheme is similar to scheme my compressor.

2.gif

Last edited:
IMHO,

Just to illustrate what would be preferred and to look for is something with these components.
Does Not have to be just like this one. This just happens to be a 1/6th HP electric all in-one unit and is always found on eBay.
I am not flogging this one, it's just to illustrate. You could find a used 1/2 HP, or even a used 2 HP compressor, does not matter.

The tank is used as an accumulator of air and is distrubuted to your airbrush from the tank. This will decrease the pu;lsing you would get with No tank. The regulator does just that, turn the knob and you get more, or less air Pressure to the gun. Does nothing to reduce the Flow of air, just pressure. Idealy you would want 12-15 lbs pressure CONSTANT. This means it will keep air flow till you releas the trigger, no matter how long you are using air. The guage will tell you what the setting is, and you can regulate that delivery pressure From the Tank to your brush. The moisture trap does just that, takes the moisture out of the air flowing from the tank Before it gets to the brush. There is a little relief knob at the bottom of the trap to drain any accumulated water trapped in it.

I hope this makes sense of what I looked for in a compressor.
Just sayin

Attachments

• COMP.jpg
    COMP.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 205
The air tank serves as a BUFFER between the brush and the pump. It allows the brush to draw more air(volume) than the compressor can supply. Consider the brush nozzle. Fine is around 0.30mm and Large 1.0mm so the volume of air passing through the brush is not large. For my garage air tools I have a 150psi compressor feeding a 55gal tank. While my Testor compressor has no tank and I've never had any problems with flow or pressure. IMHO the tank is not required. On the other hand the Gauge, Regulator, and Trap are a necessity AND also a filter on the compressor's intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back