Aircraft Identification V (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well the one in the foreground appears to be the hulk of a Brewster Buffalo

Totally agree Terry.

BTW Good to see this thread is still running, my son started this going way back in 2004, he's an old man now :D

I'm glad he started this thread. :)

New one for 2009. If you can identify the gun, you should find the aircraft concerned...

Yeah, it does look like a COW, I've only seen such a gun on a couple of prototype fighters, but might it have been fitted to a Handley Page Hyderabad? Or a Vickers Virginia?

If it is the COW gun it seems the aircraft could be a Westland Westbury from 1926

west_westbury.jpg

But they seem to have tried one fitted to the Bristol Bagshot as well, but from what I read it didnt fly too well, serious structual problems. So it has to be the Westland Westbury

G1495.jpg

So it has to be the Westland Westbury

Very nice briyeo! Yep, the Westbury, scanned from an article (Aeroplane-August 1993) by Tony Williams on "Heavy Guns of the RAF". The caption describes the illustrations as an "artists' impressions", however my understanding is the Westbury was fitted with and fired the COW gun.

Well I dont suppose this one will fox you for very long.

Sorry briyeo, but it's illustrated in the same article. You found it while researching the COW?

New one.
What British jet does this belong to?...

Miles Sparrowjet Graeme?

This one is a bit different. If you like it I will do some more. This plane was built and flown, but by the time it was this picture was very much out of date, what was it called (and yes, it flew under the same name and designation)

Image1aiv.jpg

Yes, you've got it it. this was the first picture of the Hughes Hercules, published in 1944. How would you feel about some more 'what did I become' type images. any good?

How would you feel about some more 'what did I become' type images. any good?

Sounds fine to me Wayne. What I was trying to get at above was that if the original artists impression differs greatly from the completed design, this could be very difficult. I was starting to wonder if your image could have been an early design for the Saunders-Roe Princess, that changed with design improvements. Since the engine number didn't change, Hughes' monster remains a prime candidate. (Does that make any sense?).

Sorry, but this is all I could up with at the moment. The completed aircraft didn't look very different...

Well, it reminds me very much of the Breguet STOL transport 941 with the tail of the 940, which would explain the design evolution?

On the H-4, or HK-1, the number of engines is probably the only thing that stayed the same.

Well, it reminds me very much of the Breguet STOL transport 941 with the tail of the 940, which would explain the design evolution?

Too easy for you Wayne! Yeah, it was the original design for the Breguet 941 but it looked somewhat different to the completed version. The design staff at Breguet must have been very busy in the early sixties...

Very late here, too late to look for another "what did I become" attempt, so I'll toss this into the ring instead...

I think it looks like a Wirraway, or at least related to it?

Just a quick stab... Blackburn Roc?

Nice stab Terry! Missed vital organs but you certainly were thinking along the lines that I had intended. I was hoping that it looked like a Blackburn product and in fact I was originally going to post this image, but it kinda looked too obvious with the roundels, undercarriage layout and general outline...

...and being a sick bastard, I love "belly" shots and thought I found something similar that would fool the masses, but then along comes Wayne...

I think it looks like a Wirraway, or at least related to it?

Did you spot the Koala in the Eucalypt tree in the background? :)

To finish it off all you need to do is google "Goddess of Agriculture."

Happy New Year for all

The australians, If I remember well, did a convertion from a Wirraway to a CROP DUSTER this was the CAC CA28 Ceres, isnt it?

Attachments

• Ceres1.jpg
    Ceres1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 62
You know, my first thoughts were along those lines. Then I thought, Nah! too easy, he wouldn't do that....!!
Bother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back