Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's an interesting pic, so far I've only seen line drawings of it, and i discarded it as the correct answer because I thought the tail fin on the drawing was "taller" than this one appears to be, and I also thought it hadn't left the drawing board.

here's another shot of that hangar
54.jpg

It's a Wedell-Williams racer... but which one? Could it be a modified Model 45? All photos I've seen of that type show a different cowling... and the main gear looks somewhat different as well.

So, again, I ask... what's the source of this image? Also, do you have an un-altered version of this image? I'd like to see what's written on the hangar.

Fade to Black...

It is a model 45, and I think there were 2 built and both were altered during their final construction and development, here the original photo, I altered the writing on the hangar to avoid "hints."

model45.jpg

Link: Wedell-Williams XP-34

"In 1934 Wedell-Williams won the design competition to build a prototype of the next-generation fighter plane for the army. Dubbed the XP-34, it was a direct descendant of the "45," except that it was larger and designed for two machine guns. The project had progressed to the point of final wind tunnel drawings at the time of Jimmie Wedell's death. The project slowly withered and died after this tragedy, a combination of Harry Williams's apathy and the reluctance of the army to proceed without the plane's main designer."

I believe that aircraft was being tweaked by Wedell for the XP-34 program and was basically becoming a prototype which was cancelled shortly after, that's why the difference in the cowl and landing gear. Wedell's death didn't help matters either...

Great find - I think there are only a handful of photos of the Model 45 (XP-34, XP-34 prototype or predecessor). It seems Wedell was really experimenting with this aircraft, not only for racing but for an Army contract.

Yeah, that was a tough one. Good find. :thumbleft: I was thinking about some Howard DGA...:oops:

Yeap looks like it is a modified Grumman FF-1 turned into a monoplane. It even has the belly and retracable landing gear. Only difference is the missing lower wing and the the tail is different.

Well, with a belly like that, if it's not a Grumman then it's a Curtiss.

The nearest I can think of is the Curtiss XF12C-1 which first flew in July 1933 with a Wright R-1510-92 radial. Originally designed as a 2-seat fighter.
It was later re-engined with a Wright SR-1820-80 when tested by the USN in October later that year.
It was redesignated the XS4C-1 in December 1933 when the 2-seat fighter role was dropped, and then redesignated yet again in January 1934 to the XSBC-1 when it became a scout-bomber. It later crashed during a demonstration in June 1934.

Can't quite see the rear fuselage that well, so first thoughts are either a Maryland or Baltimore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back