Aircraft nicknames - what's your favourite?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Methinks the most bizarre knickname was the 'Shagbat'... the common knickname for the Supermarine Walrus. Not sure where it came from, but its certainly different !! :D

The Ventura was referred to by RAF crews as "The Flying Pig."

A couple that I don't believe I've seen mentioned yet:

B-36 = "Thundering Peacemaker" Because of the incredible noise they made, and the fact they never fired a shot in anger.

Boeing 707 = "Kerosene Queen" Due to the early model's appetite for fuel.

Panavia Tornado; The Fin

And related to that is "Norfolk land shark" as the fin was visible at distance across the flatlands of Eastern England like something from jaws.

The most common RAF nick name for the Tornado was "Tonka" after the well known tough kids' toys.

Cheers

Steve

"At first I didn't like when I heard the nickname "turkey". I thought it was disrespectful, until one day I was in the ready room watching a recovery. When you're in the ready room, everything just stops when an airplane is recovered. Everybody's watching the TV screen to make sure it goes okay. So I'm watching the airplane come in, and it has so many moving surfaces-these huge horizontal stabilators that are as big as an A-4's main wing and they move differentially, and the spoilers rise on the wing, and it's flapping and rocking. And i had to admit: It looked just like a turkey".

Dave Parsons, VF-102, -32, -101

f14tomcat1.jpg

Then there's aircraft with official names that were just too close to something else to be ignored.
Like the CH-47 Chinook, we changed that to **** hook, which was really a better description, because there was no guessing what you might see getting sling loaded from a Chinook. Everything from downed aircraft to a dead elephant.

My favorite is the Jug for the P 47 Lightening bolt because that plane could take a hell of beating and still come home!

Then there's aircraft with official names that were just too close to something else to be ignored.
Like the CH-47 Chinook, we changed that to **** hook, which was really a better description, because there was no guessing what you might see getting sling loaded from a Chinook. Everything from downed aircraft to a dead elephant.

We still call it a Shithook today.

Hi all, just joined.
One of my favorite aircraft nicknames is; ''Hang The Expense''. This name being used on seven different B-17s mostly from the 100th BG and piloted by Frank Valesh. I was going to have a 1/72nd scale model made of this particular aircraft. Instead I chose one called; ''Our Gal Sal'' another B-17 from the 100th BG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back