Airfix 1/72 Curtiss SB2C...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I had another brainstorm.

I ordered some 1/700 scale SB2C that I could integrate into my diorama. I thought it would be neat to have a Helldiver pulling out of a dive after making its bomb run. My intention is to have the 1/700 plane pulling away while its bomb detonates in the ocean to the starboard of the Yamato. I have a blob of blue paint where I'll build a plum of water jetting up from the explosion of the bomb....

IMG_4434.jpg

Here is a picture of the 1/700 Helldiver. Its made by Trumpeter. I have it on top of a AAA battery for scale....

IMG_4442.jpg

I've been working on the water plum from the missed bomb explosion. After a couple of attempts I think I'm liking what I have. I stuck a toothpick in the wood and used the same gloss medium that I used for the ocean. Just kinda "glopped" it on. This stuff is so great because it has such a high viscostiy. You can pick and pull little spike in the material and it will not settle. I dry brushed the plum with a couple different shades of gray then finished off with white.

Does the size look OK? I tried looking for images with near miss waterline explosions to no avail. I just took an educated guess as to the size of the explosion.

It's getting there....

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

Was messing around. Added more froth to the explosion and whitened up the water a tad. It's getting better....

IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4485.jpg

All done!

For being my first water and diorama project I'm cool with the outcome. Ain't perfect but I got the "effect" I was after. Well worth the effort....

(Hard to take a decent picture of this diorama).

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_7945.jpg

IMG_4564a.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back