Airfix 1/72 Curtiss SB2C...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LA2019

Airman 1st Class
Jan 11, 2009
Finished up my Airfix 1/72 SB2C. Built out of the box and painted with ModelMaster enamel paints. I built the kit with gear up dive brakes fully open because I'm going to be making a diorama of the Helldiver making a run on the Yamato. I found a 1/2400 scale model of the Yamato that I'll use on a forced perspective diorama. I think I'm going to use artists acylic paints with gloss medium to create the ocean on the base. This will be my first attempt at modeling water so this should prove interesting.....

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

This is how I'll be posing the aircraft with Yamato below in the ocean. Should be kinda cool when it's done....

IMG_4384.jpg

Best job i ever saw on that old airfix kit.

Stunning build. I have this very kit and will be using it for a Anti-Shipping GB next month. My plan was to have it in a dive with the brakes open like yours. How did you do the dive brakes?

I used a utility knife to cut the dive flaps. I just kept scribbing the plastic until I cut through.

I started drilling all the holes in the flaps by hand until I realized that the clutch on my cordless drill closed down to zero and finished up all the drilling with the cordless (thank goodness!). I used some scrap plastic to make some hydraulic actuators. They're not accurate but close enough for the effect I wanted......

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

That is what I was planning by hand but if there was an after market kit I'd be golden. I hand drilled out the dive brakes on my SBD Dauntless last year so I know I can do it. Well at least I'm on the right track. Thanks for the info

Started working on the water. I'm using acyrlic gloss medium. I added some dark sea blue and a little black for the ocean color. The acyrlic medium is nice because it hold its peaks and does not settle. I experimented on a scrap of wood and I'm kinda happy with the outcome. Naturally, I'll have to work on the wake waves around the hull of the ship and the prop wake. I'll have to use some white dry brushing for the wave peaks/breaks.

To make the Yamato seem more dynamic I'm going to try and mimic an evasive maneuvure it used to try and elude US naval dive bombers. I like the "s" wake it leaves behind with all its maneuvering....

IMG_4390.jpg

This is what I'm striving for....

Yamato_maneuvering.jpg

Very, very cool! It's difficult to get a gloss sea blue paint scheme to look like anything other than a dark blob but you have done well. Can't wait to see it at the finish. Well Done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back