Airplane Propellers in Public Schools

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MrMoe

Recruit
May 28, 2020
Greetings From new member Maurice McMurry. The Air Craft of the past have always thoroughly intrigued me. My brother was a skilled modeler. We shared a room. I did not have a mobile hanging over my bed. I had the most of the US Air Force. I am posting today with the hope of getting data on a lost local myth. I attended Robert E. Lee Elementary in Columbia MO. For some crazy reason I was often suspected of mischief. One day in the third grade the Principle entered the bathroom just as I was stepping away from the sink with wet hands. As I made eye contact with him a blob of wet toilet paper (thrown and stuck to the ceiling by another boy) dislodged its self and landed on his bald head. I was marched with ceremony to the dark, stinky, boiler room deep in the bowels of the school. We came into a cavernous room lit only by a desk lamp on the janitors gigantic desk. The janitor did not look up but simply asked, Propeller? and unlocked a drawer. My father had a cabinet shop then and at only 8 I had done enough sanding of wood and sealers, to recognize a highly polished piece of premium hard Ash, and that is what came out of the drawer. I was asked politely to put my hands behind my head and put my elbows on the desk. and was introduced to the "Swat". Falsely accused of various things I made the march to the boiler room at least once a year.
My Jr. High Was Jefferson Junior High Columbia MO. Through no fault of my own I found myself in the Principles office once again. Mr Burton`s office had glass walls and was perched like a guard tower over the main hall of the school. He dealt in Threes and by the third swat I was wondering why he was not in the Majors. He kept His piece of carefully crafted hard, polished, wood hanging in his office. It was a perfect sister to that of my elementary Principles.
I do not know if it is Irony or Coincidence or both, but Over 40 years later I worked in what is now called the Atkins Building. It is a quarter mile from my Junior High and three quarters of a mile from my Elementary.
It is a cool old factory. During the Second World War It was a propeller factory. The Atkins have an old prop that was made there. It is a nicely crafted, Highly polished, piece of hard wood with a very distinctive shape. The first time I saw it I did a double take... and a triple take. I got a lump in my throat and a burning feeling in my rear end.
Has anyone heard of propeller seconds or used propeller being cut in half, having the hub trimmed into a handle, and being favored by school Principles of the past?
Best Regards, Maurice

Last edited:
The paddles I'm familiar with from school, ( the board of education, they were sometimes called) were certainly big, but not nearly big enough to be made from 1/2 a propeller, unless you're talking about a mighty small propeller.

But I do remember some that the teachers put some real effort into their personal tools.
There was one that I recall that was some sort of laminated wood, just never thought to ask at the time.

As far as I have been able to learn, the propellers that were made here were for training air craft. I think the Ryan ST or PT 22. I do not know how many thousands were made here but it was a lot. The propeller that was still at the factory is around 7 feet. One half or less with a good portion shaped into a handle is the legend.
-Maurice

I will try to get a photo of the prop. You are right it would have to be less than half of a Sensenich 91-in diameter 2-blade,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back