***Alarm Start - Unternehemen Flugbrucke!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have mentioned it in another Terry's thread about the model.

Thanks guys! Other pics of 7 Staffel machines definitely show brown numbers, which appear darker than yellow, but much lighter than a blue, or black, in monochrome pictures. In Caldwells books on JG26, there is mention of, and photos of, 7 Staffel with brown numbers also. When I looked at the pic mentioned, I had the feeling the number might be red, although the dots on the halftone reproduction, when examined through a 10x graphics dot glass, were the same size and 'formation' as those in the fuselage cross, which suggested the number was black. Even if the picture in question had been made using orthochromatic film, which it wasn't, judging by the other tone reproductions, a brown number wouldn't look as dark.
Now, having said all that, the only reference I have seen to indicate that the aircraft IS a 7 Staffel machine, is one caption to the picture, in one book. Does anyone know for certain that it WAS from 7/JG26? It would be nice to know, just out of curiosity! Anyway, I didn't have a red number six the correct size, or a brown one either, so...black it is! Wouldn't tell if it was a B&W shot!!!

Here ya go Terry....here is the discussion that eventually confirmed Brown 6 rather than the possibility of Blue 6.....

I think I have 3 images of Brown 6...?

Attachments

• Fw190A-8 Blue-Brown 6.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 136
Thanks Wayne, excellent stuff! Still confusing though, as one person is still saying blue, and the other person saying brown! I hadn't considered the use of a filter at the time the pics were taken, only the possible use of a film other than panchromatic, which hadn't been used, as I mentioned. Pity there isn't an actual photographic print available to study, as opposed to half-tones and, if the filter type used was know, that would help tremendously.
Whatever the real colour, mine's black!

Heinz, I know Horst personally he never flew a blue or brown 6 in JG 26, he was in JG 51 flying Fw's on ground attack missions and popping Soviets out of the air before he did a months work of intesne flying in an RLM 76 109G-6/AS's during Normandie and then back to Jg 51 and the Ost front for the rest of his career flying late mark 109G's

Is that taken from a photo. I have seen that pic or one similar on a Canadian typhoon airfield in Holland. It used to be a german base. I used to talk regularly to a gentleman that flew typhoons in 439 Sgd and he showed me personal pics he had of Canadian pilots and ground crew climbing all over a plane like that one. He said after they moved on the British tookmover the airfield and being the tidy fellows they are tried to move the plane. It exploded killing several british soldiers as it had been bobby trapped. I'll have to look through some of my corespondence with him and see if i can find the references

Yes Bernhart, the model was inspired by a well-known photo of the FW190 on Melsbroek airfield, near Brussels, Belgium. It's sparked off a lot of discussion about the colour of the number '6' on its side! Some of the links etc in this thread will explain the story, or most of it! If your friend has any photos of this particular aircraft, I know we would ALL love to see them!
Thanks for the interest.
Terry.

Hi Heinz mate! Just shows how inaccuracies can be increased, by the simple use of a 'stock shot' photograph in someones work! Whether the artist thought the FW190 at Melsbroek was Horst's, in Russia, or was just using a convenient picture, we don't know. However, this sort of thing, without the benefit of knowledge of the subject concerned, is exactly what leads to confusion, and contradictions of information, years in the future. All that photo needed, in the article, was a caption that read something like "A Focke Wulf 190 similar to the one.....etc".
At least this particular subject is well known, on this forum anyway, so no harm done.
Thanks for the link though, it was interesting reading, even if Sir Ernie's spelling etc was a little 'out'!
Cheers,
Terry.

Is that taken from a photo. I have seen that pic or one similar on a Canadian typhoon airfield in Holland. It used to be a german base. I used to talk regularly to a gentleman that flew typhoons in 439 Sgd and he showed me personal pics he had of Canadian pilots and ground crew climbing all over a plane like that one. He said after they moved on the British tookmover the airfield and being the tidy fellows they are tried to move the plane. It exploded killing several british soldiers as it had been bobby trapped. I'll have to look through some of my corespondence with him and see if i can find the references

PLEASE do! would love to see some more pics of this aircraft...

Here is the best image I have that helps ID the Brown number.

Photo Ref: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe A Photographic History by Don Caldwell

Attachments

• Fw190A-8_Brown 6_7.JG26_3 o'clock  Viewa.JPG
    Fw190A-8_Brown 6_7.JG26_3 o'clock Viewa.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 54
Nice one Wayne! That's one I haven't actually seen before; only seen (and got) the one posted by Wojtek, which is the most well known one, and one from slightly to the rear of the one you posted. From your pic, I'd say that number was definitely brown. The tones say no way for any shade of blue, it's too 'mid tone' for red, so brown it is!
Now I've got to paint over the b***dy number and bar! B****cks!!!

Yeah Chris, you're having a hard time with that! I've been checking for you also, but not coming up with anything that hasn't already clouded the issue!
Small codes forward of cross, on the white band, number forward of cross, on the white band....! There's one shot, of the Gruppenkomanduer's aircraft, with the winkel forward of the cross on the port side, which is supposed to be ZG76, but I have a feeling it's ZG26....all very frustrating!!

Yes, thanks for reminding me Erich.
What's really frustrating me is, somewhere, I know I have a book with quite a lot of 410 'stuff' in it, including some good, clear photos, showing codes to positively identify the units. But I can't find the darn thing; It's not on my library shelves, or in the stacks in cupboards etc, so I have the horrible feeling it's been loaned and not returned...! Darn !!

I think I'll change my entry to a 1/35 Opel Blitz at the airfield at Lille. How hard can that be? :)

But don't you love having the actual pic and then seeing how someone interprets into a profile? Amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back